IR Router

Old 10-14-19, 03:12 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
IR Router

I recently purchased a house and when I was looking at the pantry area I found some IR System installed, it has a IR router, a power source and AV jack, see picture attached. I'm trying to get more information on these product and wanted to see if I can use them. From what I've read on the internet, I'm assuming this is a set up for sound system - home theater or something? I have never used it and don't even know what this it, therefore I'm seeking your help. The IR router is installed on the top level of pantry and there are some A/V jack and Power connection sticking out on the dinning area. I've also got two Yamaha speakers on the living room. Could anyone help me figure out what this is and where can I make use of it?

Thank you community.

RamName:  IMG_7075.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  390.7 KB

Old 10-14-19, 03:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The IR router/repeater is used strictly for moving infra red remote control signals to other rooms.
It would be used... for example... if you had a TV in one room and the cable box and DVR in another location.

Your application looks like it's in a cabinet. Infra signals don't penetrate wood so that repeater could be used to get the signals into the cabinet to the hidden equipment,

Old 10-14-19, 04:19 PM
R
Thanks for the quick response. Since I've never used this before, I'm wondering what good can I make of this equipment. Could it be used for any sound system? It has a A/V jack connected to the dining room with the power plug.

Thank you!

Old 10-14-19, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
The AV plugs are not part of it. Those look to be run to a remote location.... maybe a TV location on the backside. The IR repeater just carries the remote signal from one area to another. You'd use it if you were going to put equipment in that cabinet.

The "IR receiver" wire goes to a an eye in the other room. It takes in the handheld remote control signals. The "flasher" wires send signals out to small IR eyes that get attached over the IR port on equipment like cable boxes or DVR's that is inside the cabinet.

Old 10-17-19, 04:15 PM
R
Thanks for the detailed information. Appreciate it!

Old 10-17-19, 05:12 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 742 Votes on 683 Posts
If you go online there are modern versions of what you have. Many of them listed on Amazon have diagrams that show how they are used.

ramsundarc1 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: