Thoughts on this home plan and layout?

Old 01-12-17, 11:04 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on this home plan and layout?

I have an older home and I want to open it up some. I'd like to combine the dining and kitchen and then expand the bathroom in to its own room.

What do you think about this layout?

Name:  Current First Floor.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  30.6 KBName:  Idea 1 First Floor.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  28.2 KB

Old 01-12-17, 11:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
First you need to verify what type of structure you have and if any of the current walls are load bearing.
Whenever you move plumbing it increases the cost.

Old 01-12-17, 12:06 PM
A
Yep

I know about the plumbing. It's all running through the external wall where the sink is now. Actually right in the corner of the add on and the cabinet in the upper right of the image. The vent for the plumbing is out side next to the back door. I'm going to end up moving that and probably reroute the plumbing through the house on an interior wall.

As far as the load bearing wall. I think that wall is load bearing and will need to have a beam put in to make this happen. But I'm not 100% sure about the wall yet. The joists under it go from left to right but they are sitting on a beam that goes up and down. Heres some pics to see what I mean.

Name:  Sketch (1).jpg
Views: 439
Size:  32.0 KBName:  basement.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  40.0 KB

Old 01-12-17, 12:14 PM
The new plan looks good to me. A few things I would look at:

If the fridge is in the corner, I would make sure a 36" French door fridge has enough room for the drawers to slide out fully.
The upper cabinet to the far left of the sink could be a diagonal with lazy susans.

Looking at the room I would consider placing the sink and dishwasher in the island.

If you are asking structural questions, This is probably a complete rebuild.

Note to OP: I posted before seeing your post and pictures.

Old 01-12-17, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Impossible to answer. We can't see all your ceiling joists, rafters or roofline. Your open concept is nice but it doesn't include anyplace for a beam to support the ceiling span... your beam would need to be directly above the load bearing beam/columns in the basement and that beam to support your ceiling would need walls on each end to support it.

Old 01-12-17, 12:23 PM
A
Should have mentioned the home is a two story with a basement.

As far as the open concept thing goes its just an idea I had. Another one may be to move the kitchen to where the dining room is now then make the old kitchen part bathroom and part pantry and maybe open part of the wall up a bit more for a dining room.

I'm open to suggestions.

Old 01-12-17, 12:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Structural engineering over the internet is pretty tough. Its unwise to give much advice when you arent given much to go on and can't be there to investigate. A 2 story on a basement complicates it further. Your best bet might be to get a local carpenter (or hire a structural engineer) to look at it in person.

Old 01-12-17, 12:51 PM
A
Yea I think that's what I'm going to do. I need to find one I can trust I guess.

I kind of figured there were things I could look for to find it myself. I guess not.

Old 01-12-17, 01:43 PM
You are pretty good at drawing. There are things you can look at yourself.

Research beam to joist connection methods, post to beam connections and load bearing post footings.
That should give you a good idea of how to build the room.

You don't need the details just yet, only the scope of work. You will be tearing out ceilings and so forth.

Here's a guide to structural connectors, it doesn't tell you how to build something, but it shows you what connections are important and I think it's helpful in your design ideas:

https://embed.widencdn.net/pdf/plus/...6.pdf?u=cjmyin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: