Master bathroom without basement

Old 02-15-19, 08:07 PM
K
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Master bathroom without basement

We are planning to make a small addition of about 120 sft to our Bedroom to have a Master Bathroom and powder room.

The house is split ranch

Initial plan was to extend the footprint (basement) and build the extension on top . However, after checking the costs, we are thinking of building the extension on posts (like Sunroom or Deck) .

The question is -- Will there be a problem of Pipe Freezing during winter ? We are in Greater Boston ; Winter temperature hovers around 20-30 and sometimes goes to near zero .

Most contractors are saying a deeper ceiling and foam insulation will avoid this problem

Old 02-15-19, 08:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Ceiling would be the best place for the plumbing since heat rises... and you would want the pipes to come down an interior wall. Keep in mind that sunroom style construction will be VERY cold in the winter, as you will not only have 3 exterior walls, but the entire bottom exposed to the elements. Most people don't realize what this means as far as energy loss. You would need to duct a lot of heat out there and you might want to consider radiant flooring as well. Deep floor joists and spray foam would give you the best R-value for your feet.

I'd discourage you from the sunroom idea if I could.

Old 02-26-19, 06:38 AM
J
Received 23 Upvotes on 21 Posts
I built a 600sq ft addition on piers about four feet off the ground. This was in Colorado at 8300 ft elevation. It had a bathroom, laundry, and hot water baseboard heating pipes in the floor. It survived 20 below zero several times without issue. I insulated with batts between the floor joists and put three inch rigid below most that and doubled the rigid below the bath and laundry. Also made sure it was air tight with plastic sheeting on the bottom of the joists before adding the rigid. Lived there ten years without any problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: