Construction Adhesive on stair treads

Old 02-08-24, 06:51 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Construction Adhesive on stair treads

Redoing a set of stairs this weekend,new treads and risers. Is construction adhesive necessary to do this? If it was used on the current ones (probably 40 years old) will they be a lot of work to break loose? Everything online that talks about this shows using the adhesive to put them on, but nothing about taking them off other then using a reciprocating saw to cut the nails.

Old 02-08-24, 08:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
Construction or other adhesive is used to prevent the stairs from squeaking. It's not necessary for strength.

You are correct. Removing treads & risers that have been glued & screwed/nailed can be a destructive and curse inducing process. I usually hammer a chisel or pry bar between the tread/riser and the stringer framing underneath. If your lucky you can split the two along the glue joint at least enough to get a saw blade in to cut the nails/screws or just keep prying until you get the nails out.

Old 02-08-24, 02:39 PM
J
OK, thank you. I only have 2 tubes of adhesive for one long flight of stairs. I don't suppose I have to use a ton of it to accomplish what I need to do. Also, what do you use to seal the tip of the tube in between uses? The things I have for my caulk just got stuck in the tube of adhesive.

Old 02-09-24, 02:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 873 Upvotes on 764 Posts
what do you use to seal the tip of the tube in between uses?
I use a nail long enough to go thru the spout into the tube.

Old 02-09-24, 08:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
A screw or nail can go into the end of the applicator tip. You can put a wire nut or finger from a rubber glove over the outside. Still, the glue will eventually dry so you need to use it up.

Old 02-10-24, 05:50 AM
J
Thank you. One other quick question. My finish nail gun has 2 inch nails in it. My concern is these are a little too long for what I need, and thus likely to end up going in crooked or otherwise popping through the surface. When I nail the riser side to the riser from the back. What would the minimum length be that I could use? Or should I even bother nailing from the riser through the back of the tread. These stairs are only 31 in wide with no center stringer. They are 9 in in depth. Would finish nailing just the ends be sufficient?

Old 02-10-24, 07:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 873 Upvotes on 764 Posts
I'd think 2" nails would be fine for nailing the riser to the stringer.
When I nail the riser side to the riser from the back. What would the minimum length be that I could use?
can you further explain that?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: