Questions on whole house humidifier

Old 10-27-16, 02:31 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Questions on whole house humidifier

Starting to wonder if my humidifier is hooked up or marked correctly.

The humidifier is mounted into the hot air vent with a pipe going into the cold air return with a damper on it. The damper says winter (to the west/left) and summer (south/down)

Just by seeing other people's they all seem to mounted on the cold return with a pipe running to the hot air vents.

Curious if that makes any difference whatsoever with the effectiveness of the humidifier. I notice a difference in airflow (increase) if I turn the damper to summer with the heat on. Im assuming less resistance because of the water pad (although both ways leak air out of top of humidifier a bit, which I assume is not fixable?)

Ive never actually known if this has ran in the 7 years ive lived here to be honest. I just replaced the water filter that was basically dust and replaced the saddle valve that started leaking which started this whole curiosity. Just assumed it did. Even though my house is well insulated it always feels cold even at 70 but ill go over someone elses at 70 and ill be melting! So not sure if the humidifier is playing a role (they dont have one)

Im sure you know what im calling myself right now!

Thanks!

Old 10-27-16, 02:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
it's preferred to have the humidifier mounted on the supply side. This keeps the humid air from going thru the furnace.

Not sure how your damper is setup but when the handle points in line with the duct.... it's open and when the handle is perpendicular to the duct... it's closed.
You want it open in the winter for the humidifier and closed for the A/C in the summer.

You didn't leave a make or model so it's pretty hard to comment on the operation of your unit.

Humidifiers that don't have a drain need to be serviced every year due to mineral buildup.

Old 10-27-16, 03:05 PM
K
Sorry. Aprilaire 550 and it has a drain as well.

The duct that connects the cold air return to the humidifier has the damper (winter position) parallel to the duct. Not sure if that makes sense.

Basically the arrow/tilda being damper dashes being how the duct runs in between. Both the hot/cold ducts run vertical. The summer would have the damper pointed down.

------------------------
W

Old 10-27-16, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Also the warm side air has the ability to hold more moisture. Be sure you also turn the RH% down during winter months as the temperature drops if you want to avoid moisture on windows. You generally need to turn it down 2 - 3 days before a cold snap because of the amount of time it takes to exchange the air.

Old 10-27-16, 03:12 PM
Group Moderator
Ok... so when the furnace is running and the humidistat is calling for humidity..... there should be a small amount of water coming thru the drain line.

Old 10-27-16, 03:16 PM
K
Nothing. Like right now my meter I have says its 42% humidity indoors but my humidifier is set for 35% so im assuming it wouldn't kick on anyways?

Old 10-27-16, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
That is correct. If you wanted to test the humidifier you would
have to turn the heat on and the humidistat all the way up.

Old 10-27-16, 03:48 PM
K
Ok will have to try that out tomorrow as im not home right now.

Does it sound like it's hooked up correctly though? Id assume it would be. Also im guessing my theory of the increased airflow is correct when that damper is turned to summer.

There is another question I want to ask on heating my basement. But I almost feel stupid asking it. Let me know if I can let it fly. Thanks!

Old 11-22-16, 02:07 PM
K
Yup. Whole house humidifier works! Just tried it out today! Didn't realize water ran to it the whole time though. Is that normal?Unless of course it was extremely dry already in my house and it had to. I notice a little bit of water trickles down the drain line but wasn't able to watch the whole process as a visitor came before heating cycle turned off to see how much it dumped at the end.

Also, how much water do these things use? Hopefully wont get hit with a crazy water bill!

Last edited by Kb887; 11-22-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-22-16, 03:21 PM
Group Moderator
The unit runs water all during the call for heat. The dryer the air the more that is absorbed from the media and the less that is discharged. The discharged water is full of the minerals that is flushed off the media.

For max performance the evaporative water media panel should be replaced every year.
Aoorox water discharge is 2.5 gallons per hour.

Old 11-22-16, 03:27 PM
K
Awesome good to know that part is normal. Changed the water panel! should note after holding a flashlight to hose its a small stream down the hose not drips. That normal?

Funny, because this must not of ever worked because I never once heard water running to it before in the years I lived here. So it was either the saddle valve causing the issue or the rotted away water panel that was in there!

Last edited by Kb887; 11-22-16 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-11-16, 09:05 AM
K
Sorry to jump up this topic but figured id ask here rather than start a new topic.

Wife wants me to shut down the whole house humidifier for now. We aren't sure if its making her sick or not but around the time it started really coming on and consistently running is the time this nagging cough that wont go away is happening. Just a trial to see if its related. It has a new filter and gets new water via the line everytime its called for so im assuming it cant be it but we will try. We were around 35-40% humidity.

But my main question is since I have it off should I turn the damper to the humidifier to summer or keep it on winter since I don't fully understand what it actually does? Thanks!!

Old 12-11-16, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
The damper allows air to pass thru the humidifier. You can shut it off for now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: