Managing humidity in the winter

Old 12-18-16, 06:28 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Managing humidity in the winter

I am having trouble keeping my home at a comfortable level of humidity, but avoiding some pretty decent levels of condensation/frost on the windows in our home.

We have a Lennox gas furnace original to the home that was built in 1996. We have a humidifier attached.

It's currently 0-20 degrees F in my area. What should be my indoor humidity? How do I avoid condensation on the windows?

Basic questions from a relatively new homeowner. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-16, 07:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 678 Votes on 627 Posts
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/hu...nfusion.html#b

Part of the problem is that large swings in temperature make a big difference in the appropriate level of humidity that you should have in the home. It might need to be 40% one day and 25% the next. Its hard to control humidity in the home that quickly. One way to do it fast is to open windows a crack to let dry air in and humid air out... which will bring down your humidity faster than if you didn't open windows... but who wants to do that when it's -15F out?

Its difficult to have little to no condensation when it is this cold. Then there is the definition of what is comfortable. Some people just won't accept the fact that their humidity needs to be very low in the winter if they want to reduce condensation... and they think they should be able to have their cake and eat it too. See the chart in the link above, or go to Google images and enter the words: temperature humidity humidistat chart.

Old 12-18-16, 07:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 210 Votes on 186 Posts
You really can't have one without the other. With the cold weather, you will get condensation on the windows. Your only real option is the reduce the humidity inside the home, get better windows (which still might not solve the issue) or install plastic windows insulator kits.

Old 12-18-16, 09:15 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks to both of you. That all makes sense and thanks for the reference