Moved into home with Aprilaire 600 - only manual mode installed?

Old 02-24-18, 06:39 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moved into home with Aprilaire 600 - only manual mode installed?

Hello all,

My family recently moved into a home with an Aprilaire 600 humidifer installed in its typical location on the cold air return duct of a forced air natural gas furnace. The only control panel I can find for it is a manual control panel, which is also mounted on the cold air return duct 'around the corner' from the humidifer. I know the manual control panel is interfacing with the humidifier because when I turn the dial above a threshold humidity level I can hear it kick on. Now, I can't find the automatic control panel mounted/installed anywhere. Am I therefore correct in assuming that the humidifier is operating only in manual mode, and that this is just how the original home owners decided to install it? I'm not sure why they would have, given we live in the northeast with significant in-season and seasonal temperature fluctuation.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-24-18, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Manual mode means that the humidity level that is set on the control is what you'll get.

Automatic mode uses an outside temperature sensor that shifts the humidity level up or down based on outside temperature. The sensor which is mounted outside.... connects to the ODT terminals on the humidistat.

Old 02-25-18, 07:07 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I understand how the manual versus automatic modes work, but that was not my question. If I only see a manual control panel installed and I can hear the humidifier reacting to it, does that mean I can be sure only the manual mode is 'active' in our home? Like I said, I can't find the automatic control panel anywhere.

Old 02-25-18, 08:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
What humidistat do you have ? That IS the control.
There is a basic two wire model and there is the electronic model.

If you only have the basic two wire h'stat..... you'd need to replace it with the newer automatic model 60 or 62. The 60 has "change water panel" feature and the 62 does not.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: