2 Yr. old Dehumidifier will not kick in.

Old 05-21-18, 01:07 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 Yr. old Dehumidifier will not kick in.

Had this dehumidifier for less than 2 yrs and the compressor will not kick in. It is a Soleus Air, 70 Pint, Portable. It blows cool air is all. Any ideas or is it garbage?

Old 05-21-18, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It blows room temperature air.
If the compressor was running the discharge air would be slightly warm.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say there is a problem with the compressor relay on the control board. It could be bad or have bad solder connections. You can remove power from the unit and access the control board to look for burned spots.

With a model number I may be able to find a wiring diagram.

Old 05-22-18, 03:41 AM
S
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
My experience with dehumidifiers is that most usually last 2-3 years. I had 1 that lasted 7-8 years but that was a rare experience. I buy them at a store that has a cheap 3 year warranty. So far I have used the warranty 3 times on different units. It is a cheap way to extend the life of the unit. This works for me since the cost of repair is usually close to or exceeds the cost of the unit.

Old 05-22-18, 03:50 PM
F
Thanks, Pete. It is a HMT-D70E-A (Soleus Air 70pt.) Can a relay be found for it?

Old 05-22-18, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Just a little something to check out....
compact appliance/dehumidifier-recall/

That unit carries a full two year warranty and a five year compressor warranty.
I could not find any technical info and an online chat revealed there are no wiring diagram available for their units.

If you want to proceed and try to fix it... I'll work with you.
You'd need to take pictures and post them of the control board.... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 05-24-18, 10:57 AM
F
Thanks for the work you've done. I am in contact with Menards to try to get an exact purchase date. When I find out …...I will update.

Old 06-04-18, 12:42 PM
V
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
My experience with dehumidifiers is that most usually last 2-3 years.
Why??
Why are these a problem? AC's last longer and those one would figure would be more of a problem.

Old 06-13-18, 09:14 AM
F
Sorry this took so long. I finally got my original sales slip and called customer service. They (she) now has me waiting and running the faulty unit for 24hrs. to see if it collects water. Does not seem to be able to understand when I tell her that it doesn't work. So I'll play their game and I'll post back tomorrow after I call them back to tell them that it isn't working.

Old 06-13-18, 09:35 AM
V
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Flat out tell her that the compressor does not kick in. Period. There is no need to wait a day.

Unless the humidity is low and there is no need for it to run? Have you checked the humidity level in the area? You do have a hydrometer don't your?? There are plenty under $20 that should be decent. I have more than one to compare readings since two are never the same reading.

Old 06-14-18, 02:31 PM
F
There is no need for a hydrometer. My new unit is sitting 30 ft away and collected 1.5 gallons of water in 20 hrs. While this unit extracted nothing.It is identical to this unit. I checked back to their warranty service dept. today and the young man told me to take the unit to Menards with the sales slip and get it taken care of. All I asked them to do is send me a new compressor but I guess that is too easy.

Old 06-15-18, 01:56 PM
F
The young man from Soleus was good at his word. Menards gave me a credit for the price I paid two yrs ago. The replacement unit I bought a few weeks ago was on sale for substantially less. A big thanks goes out to all and a special thank you to PJMax whose information about the 5 yr compressor warranty was key to getting satisfaction. Menards went above and beyond also and I came away very happy with how it turned out. Thanks again Pete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: