Honeywell HE260A Whole House Humidifier

Old 09-18-18, 02:57 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Honeywell HE260A Whole House Humidifier

Hello

I recently purchased a home with this installed.

I noticed that it is seemingly wired directly to the inside of the furnace, there's no 24V transformer anywhere externally.

My furnace blower also sends AC cool air throughout the home (I can see the AC lines going into the supply line above the main furnace unit.

The issue is that the humidifier will ONLY work when the furnace thermostat is set to HEAT and the furnace begins heating the home.
I can turn the dial on the humidistat (Honeywell H8908B Whole House Humidistat) and hear the 'click' of the solenoid valve and witness water flow - so the humidifier system works.

However, it will not work when the thermostat is set to AC. No 'click' from the solenoid, no water flow.
Essentially no power to the humidifier system when the furnace is not heating the home - the blower does not make any difference.

I tried change the fan blower on the main furnace (from the touch screen thermostat) from 'Auto' to both 'On' or 'Circ' when set to cooling (AC) but the humidifier will not work.

So it would seem that it's wired to ONLY work during heating cycles.
This is a problem as we live in Colorado and it's extremely dry during summer and winter.

I am experienced with DIY projects and have wired entire basement remodels, so I have no trouble working safely with electrical appliances.
Furnaces I'm new to, but I can learn fast and I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars to a HVAC company for something I know I can likely do myself with some guidance! I am on a very fixed budget.

I just need some guidance on what might need to change to have the humidifier work during summer months when the AC in addition to winter when the furnace heating is on.

Appreciate any guidance before my lips get so dry I am unable to speak!

Thanks!

Old 09-18-18, 03:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The reason you run air conditioning is to cool the air and remove moisture.
So running the A/C and the humidifier is self defeating.

Old 09-18-18, 04:20 PM
G
There is virtually no moisture (compared to parts of the country that get humidity in Summer) to remove......nearly 1.25 miles above sea level here.
I run AC to provide cool air, but since it's the same arrid air that we have during winter, our skin is drying and cracking without added humidity.

So it's cool, VERY dry air and the house is a static electricity nightmare even with the AC on.
When I brush my cats in the dark you can see the 'waves' of static electricity moving through their fur.

Today it is 91 degrees outside, with 14-15% humidity if that gives you any idea.

Old 09-18-18, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Then you more than likely need an evaporative cooler to better suit the environment.
Also called a swamp cooler.

You won't get enough moisture evaporated from that humidifier with cold air.

Old 09-18-18, 06:05 PM
G
Thanks Pete! I'll look into this as an option

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: