Ducting Whole Home Dehumidifier?

Old 08-08-19, 06:09 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ducting Whole Home Dehumidifier?

Good Evening!
I've purchased an Ultra-Aire 70H.
My 1200 sq ft ranch has no forced air heat; has boiler and baseboards. Nor Central Air

Dehumidifier going in unfinished half of basement, supply will go through wall to other half "Finished" and hopefully will dehumidify the whole basement?

I also have a floor grate upstairs in the living room...Is it too much to expect the unit to supply the main floor as well?

Regards, Tyannt

Old 08-08-19, 07:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Might help the basement if there is a return path for the air; upstairs it's going to do very little in all likelihood.

Old 08-08-19, 08:22 PM
T
Planned to install a vent through the wall at far end of finished half of basement, as a return to the Unfinished half where the dehumidifier is located. There is a door connecting the two midway but i thought keeping it closed and allowing the supply to circulate from one end to the other would cause a better distribution.

In regard to the upstairs, i can only assume your opinion that it won't do much good is because the dehumidifier can't supply through a forced air ductwork?

Old 08-22-19, 06:47 AM
T
Update since last post:

So, I did install a vent through the rec room wall, at the opposite end of the Finished part of the basement. Ultra-Aire is still in the Unfinished part of the basement, ducted from about 4 feet, into the bedroom Finished side. The one door connecting the two halves is closed, supply has to circulate through the Finished half to the far end and come back into the Unfinished through the installed vent. So far; with the Ultra-Aire set less that 1/2 way on the dial, it's maintaining on average 35%Rh. There is an un-ducted supply vent through to the main floor living room, and the main floor door to basement has about 1/2" space under it.

I'm very satisfied so far! The Ultra-Aire does not run constantly; NO room dehumidifier i've used to date has brought the %Rh to that level, even in just the unfinished half of the basement!

It's been pretty humid during the installation, and to date still humid. Now, trying to decide if i want to try ducting to the vent through from the main floor, possibly eliminating the need to run our upstairs portable AC on DEHUM mode so much.

If i make further changes i'll post the results. Much appreciation for all who cared to comment!

Regards, Tyannt

Last edited by Tyannt; 08-22-19 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Add diagram

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: