Lennox HCWB3-17a by pass humidifier: leaks all the time

Old 01-02-20, 08:37 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lennox HCWB3-17a by pass humidifier: leaks all the time

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this question, but here goes. Iíve got a hydro air furnace with a https://www.lennoxpros.com/healthy-c...er-day/p/Y2787
Humidifier attached to it. I clean it and replace the cartridge every fall. This thing just keeps leaking almost all the time! I think the hose that sprays the water into the top of the cartridge case is spraying too much water so that the slightest restriction of calcium causes it to overflow out of the top of the cartridge case.
Is there anything I can do to improve it or is my instinct that this is just a poor design correct and I need to replace it with something with a better design?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-20, 09:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Thread moved to the humidifier forum.

I'm not intimately familiar with that exact model but most work the same exact way.
There is..... or should be.... a restrictor in the water line after the solenoid to just allow a trickle of water to run over the media.

Old 01-05-20, 02:12 PM
M
Thanks Pete!
There was no restrictor on the waterline after the solenoid. I purchased an inline valve with compression fitting to install on the waterline from a big box store.

How slow of a trickle should I back it off to? Are we talking drips? Is 1 ounce per minute to much? Too little?

Thanks again!

Old 01-05-20, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
You need to put a restrictor in the line out of the solenoid. It's called a 4231 yellow orifice.
4231yellow orifice

In my Aprilaire I've put a small brass valve in the line between the solenoid and the media. You can't reduce pressure into the solenoid or it won't shut off correctly. I allow enough water to flow to get a very slight amount of waste water.

Old 01-05-20, 08:06 PM
M
There was one of those fellow orifice restrictors inside the solenoid, it was not inserted into the outlet tube b/c the way the water was shooting out of the end of the tube was quite strong and the hole in the orifice is almost undetectable.
I found a video on the Aprilaire website. Aprilaire Orifice Product Info & Installation Ľ Aprilaire Humidifier & Air Cleaner Parts Direct
Posted here in case someone else see’s this post with a similar problem. I’m going to try reinstalling the Yellow orifice correctly. If that doesn’t work I’ll install the small brass valve as you have between the solenoid and the media.
Thank you for your help!

Old 01-08-20, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not following. It wasn't installed but it was and the hole was too big ?
The salesman in that video says to change the reducer every two years. That's a bit excessive.

Old 01-08-20, 09:01 PM
M
The restrictor valve was inside the recess of the solenoid where the outlet tube goes. Based on the volume of water spraying onto the media It could not have gone through the tiny pin hole in the restrictor valve. It must have been installed at some point but subsequently been squeezed out of the outlet tube and been just sitting in the bottom of the solenoid. Maybe the compression fitting pushed it out. I had to pull it out of the solenoid with some needle nose pliers