Termites and Crickets

Old 10-25-16, 08:26 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Termites and Crickets

I have 2 annoying problems:

Crickets:
These seem to be around my swimming pool. My backyard is mostly concrete and I believe they are crawling over a wall from a neighbor’s yard. Their yard appears to be filled with dead leaves.
Are they going over the wall seeking water, even if it’s chlorinated? I have never seen one in the pool but they do crawl around the deck. My guess is about 40 to 50 of them after sunset. Could be more. Some are very large and some small.

What can I do to kill all of them and prevent them from entering my backyard? I prefer a non toxic home remedy if possible.

Termites:
After a rain, I have seen termites flying out of the soil on the side of my home where there is little grass and grass that is dried out as that area gets little sunlight and we do not water it much. We had this problem in another area not close to the house but after laying down a new lawn the problem disappeared.

I am seeking to a non toxic home remedy to address the current problem area as planting grass there is not feasible. In the past I sprayed terminte foam on the ground and dumped borax all over the dirt. Should I blanket it completely? Will that work? Should I just concrete the area?

Old 10-25-16, 09:03 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Never had termites but I had crickets in my house when I first moved in. I sprinkled granules in a 5' wide perimeter around the house and caught the ones inside with glue traps.

Old 10-25-16, 02:50 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Crickets: Granular insect baits are popular for crickets. Probably as low on the toxicity scale as you can go. Advion, Intice, Niban, Max Force are common and effective brand names of insect bait. Search for cricket baits and find/read the labels to see how to apply.
The crickets could very well be living below the concrete around the pool. Soil subsides enough under concrete to provide a dark, damp void area.

Termites: Before proceeding I would want to be 100% certain that the winged insects you see are in fact termites. Treating for termites is very specific and very different than treating for flying ants and other insects. Flying ants and termites have similar appearances and behaviors at times.

Here in the northeast termites swarm in the springtime, often times stimulated by a rain fall. Ants also swarm in the spring.

Old 10-25-16, 03:24 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Where's the picture of the bug your seeing.
How do you know it was termites you were seeing coming out of the ground before?
Do they even have wings?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: