Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Insect, Pests and Animal Control. Home Pets and Farm Animals > Indoor and Outdoor Animal Control
Reload this Page >

Chased a bird away from its nest (in my sunroom) found eggs in the nest

Old 06-10-18, 01:45 PM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts

Some of the mesh tore off the door to the sunroom and birds are building nests in the various ledges.
I got tired of cleaning up nests in other places like shoe holders and started chasing birds away.
(I know I need to repair the screen).
Just now a bird was sitting there and I tried to shoo it away but it didn't budge at first, eventually I got it out.
I went to clean up the nest but as I was about to toss is I noticed two small white eggs.
I put the nest back with the eggs in it.
Now I heard that the bird won't come back. (Looked like a wild pigeon but I know nothing about birds)
Is that true and if so what are the options to successfully hatch the eggs and get the young birds on their way?

Old 06-10-18, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If you don't mind birds in your house...it will probably come back. If you don't see it sometime in the next few hours, toss the nest and eggs. Trust me, pigeon or dove, whatever it was, it's not endangered. You certainly aren't going to hatch the eggs and raise the chicks. That's a childrens fantasy.

Old 06-10-18, 02:11 PM
M
You're right, it came back, not even 30 minutes later.
I saw it flying past the door opening like It wanted to get it so I stopped my workout and turned off the music and eventually went right back to sitting on the nest.
What a relief.

Attached Images  
Old 06-10-18, 02:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You could do anything to that nest and the bird will repeatedly return to that spot as long as you leave it in that exact spot. If you moved the nest 6" to the side the bird would likely go to the original location and ignore it's eggs 6" away. There is a reason we have the phrase "bird brained".

Old 06-10-18, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
BTW...that's a type of dove. Good eating...though a often a bit fatty for my tastes.

Old 06-27-18, 06:37 PM
M
I'm seeing one baby bird out and about and another hatched.
The mom seems happy as a lark (in my accommodations) and doesn't appear to be going anywhere.
How much longer until they leave or are they thinking this is their new home?

Attached Images  
Old 06-28-18, 04:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
How long till they leave? I don't know but would guess a couple weeks. Do they think it's their new home? Yes.

I would wait until the babies leave the nest. Then when they are all gone patch the hole they were using for access. Doves use the same nest again and again so if you don't block off their access hole they will come back. Even if you remove the nest they will likely try to build a new one in the same place.

Old 07-01-18, 10:37 AM
M
So the birds were out and about in the sunroom today. The babies are flying now and no longer nestled up to their mom. I went to the old abandoned nest, checked to make sure there were no new eggs in it, and threw it out. Then I chased the birds out and patched up the holes. Thanks for all the advice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: