Stubborn roach problem

Old 08-18-15, 06:50 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Stubborn roach problem

Hey guys, we have a 2-family house and always had problem for years with roaches only in the ground floor kitchen and bathroom and have tried a few pest control guys with no permanent solution. The guys would come and do their stuff every 3 months but still have problem so I am thinking it's time for me to try to tackle this on my own and use the money I am paying them to purchase the best products I can find.

After trying a few guys who work for Pest Control companies over the years, a few years ago this young kid in his twenties was recommended by a friend, I was told he had a regular job and did pest control part time so I decided to give him a try, when he came he said I won;t see any after 2 weeks, so said so done and all he did was was put some drops from his tube here and there in the kitchen and bathroom which took only maybe 10 minutes. There wasn't any roaches for a few months but then slowly started appearing but I could never find that kid after that first visit.

The guy I have right now when he comes here he does a very thorough job, I can't see that any pest control person can do any better of a job where effort is concerned but what he and everyone has used in the past it is not effective so I am wondering just what it is was in the gel that kid used? We'll never know so best I can do is try to find something which will work quickly and which I can maintain, any ideas/suggestions please guys?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-15, 07:05 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
How to Get Rid of Roaches | Cockroach Control | Kill Cockroaches
Has anyone removed all the outlet and switch covers and treated?
Air sealed all the ceiling fixtures?
Air sealed all the places where wiring and plumbing where run in the attic, under any sinks and under the house?
Caulked any gaps in the trim?
Pulled out the appliances and cleaned, degreased and treated?
Also both homes need to be treated for this to work.

Old 08-18-15, 08:40 AM
M
No, nothing that extreme has ever been done, the current guy places different roach products in all possible visible places which is why I had mentioned the effort factor but again, it seems the in-depth work you've mentioned can and should be done, thing is I would like to get a product like what that kid had.

Old 08-18-15, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
I know it may be different where you are, but I use the roach traps (I think they are D-Con?) and I've completely eliminated them from my property. I would find 2 or 3 every day in the house or garage and at night the driveway looked liked a moving carpet sometimes. I put 8 of those traps around doors and in the garage and near the tree where they hung out and in a week they were almost completely gone. A week later and they WERE gone. Of course then the crickets showed up.

This is what I did at my other place and it worked there as well.

Old 08-18-15, 09:28 AM
M
I'm in Queens, NY and my problem is not related to outside of the house and only on the ground floor kitchen and bathroom. The current exterminator has set down some glue traps in a few places inside some of the kitchen cupboards.

Old 08-18-15, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
The traps I'm talking about are not glue, but a bait type system. Glue traps catch a few, the bait kills whole colonies.

Our resident bug expert is on vacation for a while...so all you'll get is what worked for us. He'll prob have better ideas since he is just North of you in PA.

Old 08-18-15, 10:36 AM
J
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Bring up the web site I posted, there's two products listed on it at the bottom.

Old 08-18-15, 11:31 AM
M
If you mean PABugman yes, he helped me get rid of bed bugs.
I am confused on the placement of those two products in the link since we dealing with only a kitchen and bathroom, seems to me both the Lambdastar and intice would not be ideal for kitchen cupboards?

Old 08-24-15, 08:32 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
Iím back.

Do the upstairs tenants have or see roaches? If they have a serious problem then you will always get the overflow/over population sooner or later as Joe alluded to.

The gel tubes are roach bait. Initially they seem to always work well but then are rejected for reasons entomologist are trying to understand.

Advion and Vendetta Plus are modern and very effective roach baits. Donít spray anything near the baits as the sprays may have a repellency factors so you would be working against yourself.

Does the pest control guy use an Insect Growth Regulator? If not, he or you should be. Consider Gentrol Point Source. Works well with baiting strategy. Read the invoice that he leaves with you. In PA we have to use chemical names and EPA registration #.

I wouldnít be afraid to spray interior of cabinets with Lambda-star. Empty then clean cabinets, then spray. Let dry before returning anything. Is it possible that you have old product in boxes in the cabinets that may very well have roach infestations? I see this in my work. Take time and go through everything. Refrigerator motors and stored products on top of the fridge are usually involved as well.

Are you finding dead roaches after treatment?
Do the upstairs neighbors have roaches?
Tell us the material he uses.

Keep us posted.

Old 08-25-15, 10:33 AM
M
Hey, hope you had a great vacation! No roaches whatsoever either on the 2nd floor or basement. I wouldn't know if the guy uses Insect Growth Regulator and since I am not sure I will ask him to come back here, moot point. Not finding dead roaches after treatment. They do start getting less than normal after treatment but then same cycle.

Ok to clarify, Advion and Vendetta Plus, can you tell me if one is better than the other?

Gentrol Point Source. Should I get this in addition to one fo the above?

Would I still need to spray interior of cabinets with Lambda-star if getting 2 of the above products please?

Old 08-25-15, 01:27 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Vendetta is newer so Iíd go for that but the Advion is a very close second. So close I wouldnít be the least bit worried if thatís all I could get. Vendetta has IGR in it so if you can get that then skip Gentrol, at least for now. Iíve not used Vendetta yet; still using Advion but others are raving about Vendetta.

Try Vendetta without spraying for now. The newer baits are that good that they can eliminate a problem. However, if you havenít gone through stored products, boxes, stuff on top of fridge, etc than you should do that. Look at anything that you havenít handled or used for a while.

Old 08-26-15, 04:34 AM
M
Yes, of course I will go through and clean all cupboards thoroughly before applying Vendetta, the reviews looks great, please clarify that this is the product you are referring to?

http://www.amazon.com/Vendetta-Roach...roach+gel+bait

Old 08-26-15, 07:50 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Vendetta Plus Cockroach Gel Bait

Good question Mike: What you want is Vendetta Plus. I didn’t realize that there was a Vendetta bait without IGR. Good catch.

I’m not promoting this particular website for purchase of this product; I’ve never used the site. just using it as an example of the product in question.

Last edited by PAbugman; 08-26-15 at 07:51 AM. Reason: disclaimer
Old 08-26-15, 08:19 AM
M
Old 08-26-15, 11:00 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Thatís it! Pyriproxifen is the IGR in the bait.

Old 08-26-15, 11:19 AM
M
Cool, thanks, get back to when we receive.

Old 08-26-15, 12:08 PM
M
This is what the wife says:

This is serious stuff, pretty toxic, so we got to be very careful considering we always have small kids around.
Any ideas please? Not holding you to any sort of responsibility of course, just would like your opinion please? This from her link talks about "boric acid"?

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/pest....php?pestid=15

Old 08-27-15, 04:46 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Very low in toxicity. All modern day baits are very low in toxicity. Caution, Warning, and Danger are the three levels of warning labels and this bait, like all, comes with a caution label which is the lowest. Even if it was highly toxic the only way to absorb it would be to eat it and then you would have to eat enough.

Boric acid also has toxicity as does everything. Compare the safety data sheets. Specifically compare the oral ld50 test results. The higher the oral ld50 number the safer the material is. Table salt is around pal ld50 2000.

Boric acid in dust and spray form is repellent. Modern day treatments are geared towards being non-repellent and as a result make for very effective roach and termite treatments with less toxic materials.

If it was dangerous then I wouldnít do it either as I eat in restaurants that I treat and I visit my friends homes.

If you are sure that what you have is German cockroaches then the Victor Roach Pheromone trap would be the only non-toxic treatment/trap that would have any value. See what you think.
Victor Roach Pheromone Traps - Free Shipping

Old 09-14-15, 08:59 PM
N
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roaches

I've read all the comments if you are having a roach problem the first question any one should ask is what type of roach are you having. i still don't know this is vital in control. I will assume by your trial that its an american cockroach

but if you have had several pest control companies and non have controlled the problem. but stop using spray insecticides especially pyrethroids they will repel them and you shouldn't use them with baits you'll contaminate the baits and the roaches wont eat it.

the reason you find them in the kitchens and baths is there is water and they need water.

in your kitchen and bath make sure you seal off all the pipes entering the home with foam that comes in can. daptex

is this home on concrete slab or does it have a crawl space if it does have a crawl space treat it with a boric acid based bait like intice 10% it kills large roaches.

if you have an attice you dust it with cimexa dust or bait it with the entice 10%

yur sewer system is one way they get in dust the drain pipes with delta dust its water proof.

roach gel baits are good for german roaches but not so good for american roaches.

Igr is good but they only work in preventing egg to larva to adult they don't kill the roaches they either prevent them from maturing into sexually reproductive adult or prevent them from producing chitene which is there exoskeleton. they are slow working.

exclusion is your best tool find all the wholes and plug them if you dont you cant control them effectively. depending on the structure typ you have to perform either a bimonthly service with the intice 10% around the exterior of the property to control them and treat the drains like every other month.

hope it helps

Old 09-15-15, 04:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
Something wrong with the caps shift on your keyboard?

Old 09-15-15, 05:06 AM
M
Whoa, a lot here for me to deal with but thanks for the all of the info guys, I will address this soon hopefully by next month as I am swamped right now so I will get back to you guys later.

Old 06-03-16, 06:04 AM
M
Vendetta roach gel works for me!

Hey PA Bugman, you had recommended Vendetta to me a while back to get rid of a very stubborn roach problem in our ground floor and after trying a few pest control guys it was not working.

I bought the vendetta here:

http://www.amazon.com/Vendetta-Roach...=1&*entries*=0

After the first tube at around 3-4 weeks not a single roach in sight. I just used the 2nd tube last week. Just wanted to inform anyone here of my findings and to thank you PA Bugman yet again for the help, it is greatly appreciated, thanks!

p.s. So you're 2 for 3 helping me get rid of both bedbugs and roaches [thanks], now if only you had an answer for "squirrels" would be super!