Test for fleas?

Old 05-29-16, 03:21 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Test for fleas?

Is there some sort of a test that you can do for fleas, such as when a tenant moves out? Perhaps there's some sort of sticky tape that attracts fleas that can be left on carpet for 24 hours?

Old 05-29-16, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Walk in the house with a white pair of pants on. They will find you within seconds, believe me.

Old 05-30-16, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
A pan of water with a drop of dish soap (like a pie pan) left under as light bulb (like a desk lamp) works like a champ.

Old 05-30-16, 04:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 360 Votes on 317 Posts
As a painter I used to always wear white and like Larry said - walking thru a house with them on will let you know in short order if there is a flea problem. I looked at one rental to give a paint estimate and in less than 5 minutes the bottom half of my britches had turned black I called them up and said when they take care of the fleas I'd come back and see about the painting.

Old 05-30-16, 08:38 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
All the above suggestions work well. Also wear white socks and tuck your pant legs into your socks. That can slow them down from getting under your pant legs. Yes, I/we looked like dorks walking from parking lot to the apartments, but I got over that fast. I would carry a flashlight and flea aerosol, the kind that you can hold and spray upside-down, so if I got fleas I would spray my pant legs and shoes and socks when I got near the door to leave, or spray immediately outside the door. Even a flying insect aerosol would work as long as it well dispense easily.

Keep in mind that the gestation period for fleas can be 9 months if no host is available. They wonít hatch from their cocoons until a host is present so they could hatch within a week or two if a host, such as a human sacrifice, walks through daily. I would enter the first room, usually living room and walk the perimeter, shuffling/sliding my shoes to make vibration. After one circle of the room, inspect yourself with flashlight. Make a mental note of results and enter next room and do the same. In this respect you may be able to narrow down the worst rooms or maybe itís the whole apt infested badly. Close doors behind you so as to isolate to some extent. Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

Old 05-30-16, 01:00 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why the drop of dish soap? Is that supposed to kill them once they jump in?

Old 05-30-16, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
Yes, it suffocates them and other insects too, like ants.

Old 05-30-16, 01:26 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
The dish soap, like any surfactant will break the surface tension of the water so that little things donít float.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: