Insects all over Garden and House

Old 06-30-16, 06:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insects all over Garden and House

Hi, Their are thousands of small insects running around outside. They do not fly, but seem to jump if you try to touch them. I tried spaying with Home Defense but that did not do anything. They are very small, size of a gnat, even smaller. I live in the foothills 30 miles east of Sacramento. Very dry and hot.

Name:  Bug1a - Copy.jpg
Views: 2340
Size:  22.8 KBName:  Bug2a.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  24.2 KB

Old 07-01-16, 05:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
They look like stink bugs. An accidental import from China in 1998. They have no predators in the US so they reproduced like mad. Harass or squish one and you'll learn how they got their name.

Old 07-01-16, 05:52 AM
Never seen stink bugs this small. These are tiny, smaller then a gnat. And never seen thousands of them at one time.

Old 07-01-16, 01:57 PM
I believe the insects are :

Family Rhyparochromidae - Dirt-colored Seed Bugs

Exotic Seed Bugs

Mediterranean seed bug (Xanthochilus saturnius)

Rhyparochromus vulgaris (2001)

Tuxedo bug (Raglius alboacuminatus) (2005)

There are a number of native seed bugs in the Pacific Northwest (PNW). Examples include the boxelder bug (Heteroptera: Rhopolidae; Boisia trivittata), the western conifer seed bug (Heteroptera: Coreidae; Leptoglosus occidentalis), some stinkbugs (Heteroptera: Pentatomidae) and many others. In the past few years, three new seed bugs in the family Rhyparochromidae, or the dirt-colored seed bugs, have been found for the first time in the PNW. The three new bugs are the Tuxedo bug (Raglius alboacuminatus), Rhyparochromus vulgaris and the Mediterranean seed bug (Xanthochilus saturnius). They are known from Europe and northern African, Asia and Russia. There is very little known about these bugs, possibly because they are not major economic pests. They do cause anxiety among homeowners, and costly eradication expenses. Henry stated that seed bugs are frequently intercepted at port, primarily on pallets of tile and other ceramic products. Italy represents the origin of many of these interceptions.

Old 07-04-16, 08:55 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
I don’t know what they are. Certainly an outdoor insect probably related to surrounding agriculture. Take some specimens to the local county extension agent. They will be familiar with the local pests and will be a good source of objective information. I utilize our county agents for some ID”s.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: