What's pest control co. using?

Old 08-03-16, 07:23 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What's pest control co. using?

I've been using a local pest control co. for a major ant problem and some roaches. He has ID'd and treats for Big Headed, Crazy and White Footed ants. He's done a good job stabilizing the ant problem but is very expensive, IMHO. He's does 4 treatments per year for "ants, roaches, silverfish or crickets"; I don't really have an issue with the last 2 but OK.

The first treatment is interior/exterior, then three exterior treatments. He calls the interior treatment "baits", for which he uses a fine dry white powder that he shoots out the bottom of long tubular dispenser into the back of cabinets and along baseboards. He calls the exterior treatment "perimeter" and uses a clear liquid that he applies along the perimeter of the house with a pressurized sprayer.

Any idea what he could be using here?

Last edited by c1351996; 08-03-16 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-04-16, 05:27 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
There's a variety of products pest control companies are using (fipronil, bifenthrin, or permethrin, sometimes in conjunction with granular baits) that could be used, both indoors and outside. I'll leave it to others to get into the specifics because I have two other points to make. First, I do most treatment myself but have hired professionals from time to time. When I do I always ask specifics on what's being used. I would never have someone apply insecticide or herbicide near my home without knowing about it.

Beyond that, though, if he's been treating for years and you still have a problem it's possible another service should be considered. The best way to deal with ants is to find the nest and eradicate it. Baiting and perimeter treatments can work but finding nests is probably what's needed. Many professionals know how to do that.

Old 08-04-16, 10:33 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
In most states, if not all, the operator has to put on the invoice what he is using. Dig up an old invoice and type the names in so we can see it.

Old 08-17-16, 12:13 PM
C
Thanks!
He's done a good job stabilizing the problem, which is why I want to know what he's using...But he's very expensive and I'm hoping to DIY it, with help from you all, moving forward. I believe I've been able to find and remove a couple of white footed ant nests in rotten trees, which I've removed. I also located other nests in healthy trees, which I'm deciding whether or not to remove and replace the trees but must treat until then. I also may have other ant nests underground, especially below my concrete patio and wall, which meets the house and butts with the inside kitchen sink, dishwasher & cabinets

He sent me the attached product list, from which I asked what few products he typically uses on my site and he said "Mostly use baits and dust inside and sprays outside with Fipronil.". I see only two dusts; "EcoExempt Dust" and "DeltaDust". I've never seen him put baits down inside unless he shot gel straight out of that long metal dispenser around baseboards, behind furniture/appliances and inside cabinets. And, I'm guessing the Termidor is the Fipronil he sprays outside because the only other Fipronil that I see on the list appears to be a gel.

That said, I'm thinking he uses the following...
1) Termidor with Fipronil as spray outside
2) "EcoExempt Dust" and/or "DeltaDust", as dust inside.
3) One or more of the gels from the list, as bait inside.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Attached Images  
Old 08-19-16, 04:38 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Fipronil in all forms is a terrific ant bait/spray. The Max-Force ant gel is available over the counter, at least in PA. Otherwise his chemical list is of the newer insecticides. Safe and effective.

Old 08-29-16, 01:49 PM
C
Thanks!

Keeping in mind an overall 4-step plan for treating "ants, roaches, silverfish or crickets"..."Mostly using baits and dust inside and sprays outside with Fipronil."; I believe I've got 3 steps…

1) Outside perimeter of house: Termidor sc spray with Fipronil.
2) Yard: He does not treat yard but suggested and I've been using "AMDRO Kills Fire Ants Yard Treatment Bait", in conjunction with his treatments. This seems to kill more than just Fire Ants.
3) Inside dust: Delta Dust

However, I'd appreciate thoughts on the gel baits for inside the house.
4) Inside gel baits: Maxforce Gel or Advion?

Old 08-30-16, 08:33 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Either gel is fine. I honestly can’t say one is better than another. I can say that liquids/gels are accepted better than the solid ant bait. Remember, don’t spray in the area of baits or use cleaners in the same area as they may cause repellency which would work against you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: