Fastest way to get rid of mice?

Old 11-15-16, 11:39 AM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Fastest way to get rid of mice?

So after some years we got some mice in the house. Last week I bought Dcon cubes from home depot and put one under the stove, another at the back of the fridge and 2 in the food pantry where I saw the droppings. Thye are still there, is there anything else I can do to get rid of them quickly please?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-16, 01:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First thing to do is get rid of the food source. Then see if you can find where they are getting in and seal it up. To follow their trail you can sprinkle some talcum powder and check for foot prints. They usually travel along walls.
I had this happen recently and found broken food packages on a shelf. Cleaned everything up. Found their point of entry and put down some snap traps. Caught one the first night. You can buy snap trap bait or do your own....peanut butter......peanut butter mixed with bacon grease is supposed to be irresistible to the little critters.
Or call in a pro who will put down bait traps and snap traps......depending on who lives in the house.

Old 11-15-16, 01:32 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I live in the woods, and mice are pretty much a constant battle. Here's what I do:

Snap traps baited with peanut butter near areas where you see droppings. I use the covered snap traps so the dog doesn't get into them.

Around the outside of the house, place rodent bait stations baited with mouse poison blocks. Inspect and rebait them as needed. Those will keep the number of mice that make their way into the house to a minimum, the snap traps will get those that do. Use the bait stations so pets and larger animals won't eat the poison. I don't like to use the poison inside as I prefer the mice not die in a wall or the attic.

Of course, it's worth spending some time sealing up potential entry points, but since mice can enter via very small spaces, it's hard to eliminate them all.

Old 11-15-16, 02:00 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 32 Posts
To entice the rodents to eat the rodenticide it is important as stated above that all competing food sources be removed otherwise they won’t change their habits. If an attached garage, check it for grass seed, bird seed, etc. Pet food is a big attractant for rodents.

Snap traps are always good to have in place. Today I placed several in our detached garage.

Is there a basement or crawl space in your house? If so, I would bait/trap on top of the foundation wall but below the kitchen. There are enough pipes and wires coming up to the kitchen that they are probably using those openings as avenues. The top of the basement/crawl foundation wall is only 10”-12” below the basement floor.

Old 11-15-16, 02:16 PM
M
Aside from snap traps, anything more humane or less messy which can work just as good?

Old 11-15-16, 02:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
What makes you think a snap trap isn't humane? Normally it kills them as soon as it catches them.

Old 11-15-16, 03:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I agree, snap traps are about as humane as can be - glue traps are horrible.

Old 11-15-16, 04:04 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Search “tin cats”. They make live traps for mice. I’m not big on live trapping mice and releasing them but tin cats work. Get the kind that don’t need to wind up as the spring usually breaks.

Old 11-15-16, 05:42 PM
J
Not sure if this is for real or not. I was prepared to give it a try but fortunately did not have to. But, you said you have pets so I won't even bother as it involves putting down edibles.

Old 11-16-16, 09:46 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Bugman has good advice except I don't believe there to be any shortage of mice in the world and therefore see no reason to let them live when releasing them means they are going to try to get back into your house or someone else's nearer where you released them.

Old 11-16-16, 10:36 AM
M
Good point, I don't wish to release any of them for the reasons mentioned above, I prefer the traps which they can go into and can be disposed of without seeing them just don't know how effective it is so I will get the snap traps as it's also not nice to have them living on glue traps.

Old 11-16-16, 12:53 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Get some Dcon ultra set covered snap traps. They work well, and at most you will only see a bit of tail. It's easy to tell if they are tripped as there is a little indicator. You can stick the whole thing in a trash bag, release the arm, the dead critter will fall in the bag, and you can reset the trap. No muss, no fuss, no mess.

Old 11-16-16, 01:23 PM
M
Actually, we had bought a couple of those last night plus the glue ones, thanks!

Old 12-11-16, 10:02 AM
M
Nothing works guys, they are not eating the cubes or going into the different traps. Thinking my best best is to get the dcon pellets again which I had years ago and worked. Since they are now discontinued very expensive at $25 for one small box.

Is there any better poison than dcon pellets and less expensive? if not best thing I am seeing in my searches according to reviews is Havoc?

https://www.amazon.com/Neogen-116372.../dp/B004WUP03G

what do you guys think please?

Old 12-11-16, 03:55 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Here is an example of what is known as “soft bait”. Like bubble gum, fairly new and rodents accept it quite well. Be very careful with it around dogs as it is attractive to them. Be aware that large rodents can drag it from initial location.

I’m not recommending this brand or this company in particular but simply using this ad as an example of soft bait. The soft baits come in various brand names and colors. Apparently California does not allow it, go figure....

Search for “rodenticide soft baits” or similar and see what you get. I’ve never seen it in stores, just on line.

All rodenticides offered for sale are effective if the rodent eats it. Acceptance is usually the issue though.

The quantity shown in the add is way more than needed for a residential job. Have you had any luck with any kind of trap? Are you sure that the rodenticides aren’t working and that the issue is re-infestation, in other words, new mice entering? If so, consider exterior bait stations.

Resolv Soft Bait Rodenticide

Old 12-12-16, 04:55 AM
M
No luck with both types of traps.

Are you sure that the rodenticides aren’t working and that the issue is re-infestation, in other words, new mice entering? Don't know as this problem is in the upstairs tenant's apartment.

Yes, the soft bait has great reviews, will order it and will let you know, thanks a million.

Old 01-20-17, 06:32 AM
M
Hey guys, the softbait is working, bought this brand here after seeing the super reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/First-Strike-...rike+soft+bait

I had expected it to work much faster as some of the reviews shows but after a couple of weeks I started finding dead ones. Thing is, I had thought it wasn't working so I had called an exterminator who brought and put the same softbait packets, money wasted, tsk tsk.

Anyway, just wanted to update you guys and to say many thanks, take it easy guys!

Old 01-29-17, 07:05 PM
K
I read that rats and mice, especially rats, sample their food over time because they can't throw up. They have no gag reflex. They do this to prevent being poisoned. It takes about 3-4 days to kill them unless you get something that is a higher concentration. The normal anticoagulant bait takes 3-4 days.