Tons of termites and small winged ants swarming outdoor lights

Old 05-26-17, 11:56 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tons of termites and small winged ants swarming outdoor lights

hello again! I am the lady who had the carpenter ants in the attic inside the home. quick update! I sprayed with the maximum concentration and that wiped them out!! woo hoo!!! thanks for the advice and support!

NOW I HAVE A NEW PROBLEM!!!! I have tons of swarming alate termites and tons of tons of these little ants that have wings swarming all of my outdoor lights and they are all along the windows or doors where there is light. The house has a history of subterranean termites the past owner said. If there is light coming from inside the house they come after it too!! there is also tons of beetles!! the scariest thing though is the swarming termites!!! I cannot go outside at night its that bad. there is so many that they fall on you and you will have them on you!!

the termites only swarm at night so are they drywood termites instead of subterranean termites?

I have not seen any signs of termites inside my home. there are outdoor flood lights all around my home and two lights on the porch so obviously they are right outside my home. if I open the door to go outside, they fly inside. I tried shutting off some lights last night but its so weird to live in the complete darkness. My lightbulbs are LED DAYLIGHT bulbs so that probably is not helping although they go after any light.

What should I do? Should I put more Termidor? Should I be spraying something else? I don't know where the termites are coming from. I also don’t kbnow what are the names of these little ants that show up after it rains and go after the light and you see a million of them. What can I do to help this situation? Its rained the past few days and its always worst after it rains.

Thanks for your help!!

Old 05-26-17, 12:12 PM
M
is there something that I should be spraying my entire yard with like Bifenthrin?

Old 05-26-17, 12:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You need to identify what they are first. Hopefully you can kill one or two and inspect the body. Ants will have 3 segments while a termite will only have 2.

Old 05-26-17, 03:05 PM
M
I have both termites and flying ants. pictures attached. these are the termites.

Attached Images   
Old 05-26-17, 03:10 PM
M
these are the flying antsName:  3FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 10810
Size:  29.3 KBName:  4FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 26434
Size:  45.9 KB

Old 05-26-17, 05:23 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Time to call in a real exterminator to ID what type bugs your dealing with.
No way would I be calling Orkan or Terminex!
First thing I would have done when signing up Is add my location to my profile.
No one here is going to know where on the planet you are.
Any exterminator will do an inspection for free.
Unless you crawling around under the house and attic, ripping out walls if it's termites your not going to see them.

Old 05-26-17, 07:37 PM
M
Sorry just updated profile. I am in Miami, Florida. I am in bug land 😫

Old 05-27-17, 03:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While I prefer to diy, since you are in south fla with a history of termites it's probably best to bite the bullet and get a maintenance program with an exterminator. Besides coming out at scheduled times they'll come back if/when you see activity. If I'm not mistaken they also have to warrant repairs for any new insect damage.

Old 05-27-17, 11:23 AM
M
I like to DIY too. When I had a horrible carpenter ant infestation indoors and outdoors, I called a pest control company that made the problem worst. I did it myself and with persistence and determination I controlled my problem 😃

Old 05-28-17, 06:20 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Your house may or may not have a termite infestation. All termite species, subterranean and dry wood and others are usually hidden in the walls because of their nature to shun light and the availability of bare wood is inside the walls.

Before any treatment is suggested or performed, a proper identification must be made as to the termite species. The treatments between dry wood and subterranean termites are very different; one won’t work for the other so it is imperative that this be diagnosed properly. I’ve never dealt with drywoods as I’ve been in the northeast my whole career. Take samples to a local county agricultural agent for objective identification. Get identifications and estimates from local pest control companies. Find out who your friends and neighbors like and call them. Word of mouth is a good way to find good operators in this business. You want someone who performs the treatments as well as sales, not someone who only sells.

Termite treatments are far more involved and difficult than surface spraying for ants. Deeper soil treatments with large quantities of termiticide are required for subterraneans. With Drywood termites the problem is getting to them as they will be behind wall coverings. Sometimes tent fumigation is required.

Fipronil based insecticides such as Termidor, Taurus, Fuse, etc are great for subterraneans, but simply spraying the surfaces won’t work. Much labor and power equipment is needed.

The flying ants may or may not be a problem. Have them properly identified too. If they are carpenter ants then they would be a concern if inside. Carpenter ant species vary from different geographic areas so I’m not sure if these are carpenter ants or not. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: