Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Insect, Pests and Animal Control. Home Pets and Farm Animals > Indoor and Outdoor Insect and Pest Control
Reload this Page >

Is there anything new out there to keep bugs away from my front door lights?

Old 07-16-17, 08:18 PM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

I haven't looked much lately, but am wondering if there's anything out there (i.e. a particular type of bulb) that will keep bugs away from outdoor lights at night in the summer?

It's also odd in that the lamp posts on my driveway don't get that bad (CFL in clear glass), yet the two fixtures right outside my front door (attached to the house, also CFL) get a crazy amount of all sorts of bugs when the lights are on at night.

Does the type of light (3000k, 4000k, etc...) make a difference? Is LED any different/better than CFL??

Thanks for any thoughts!

Old 07-17-17, 06:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Get a bug light bulb. They are yellow and do not attract insects like white light does.

Old 07-17-17, 02:12 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Very good questions and I have nothing to contribute. I will think about this in the coming days.

Old 07-18-17, 09:20 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lol I just left a bottle of glass cleaner out there so I can spray the perimeter of the door before I open it to let all these mosquitos in to bite when I fall asleep. Maybe one of those bug lights?

Old 07-19-17, 05:17 AM
N
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Thanks all. After further research I switched from 5000k bulbs to 2700k bulbs (much more yellow that bright white) and so far it seems to be helping. I don't really want to try yellow bug lights, but that's the next step if I need to.

Old 07-20-17, 08:23 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I live on the edge of a swamp in south Louisiana. We get a very large variety of insects and mosquitoes. Many of the insects are attracted to the lights, which attracts gecko lizards and others and frogs. The frogs attract snakes, etc. Well, putting lights in the garden, away from the house, helps some by keeping some of the lizards and frogs out in the yard. During Spring- fall, (mosquito season) , I keep a fan on the porch blowing across the entry door. It's just a box fan, but keeps the mosquitoes away from the door. It's a losing battle as long as the lights are on with the other insects. My neighbor has motion detect lights and that makes a difference, but the bugs will flock to the windows where there is light coming out and the lizards frogs and snakes will follow. Circle of life I suppose.

Old 07-21-17, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
We are in what could be considered premiere bug country..........rural area with a heavily treed lot, river across the road and marsh behind us.
Hordes of midges, black flies, bull dogs and fish flies all come in turn all the while mosquitoes are a constant presence.

The only thing that will illuminate your outdoor area and minimize insects are yellow bulbs specifically labelled as a bug light.
All insects see colors differently and with a bug light it likely will appear as a candle where normal lighting is an advertising bilboard.

Another idea is to have your bug lights on a switch and only turn them on when needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: