Putting diatomaceous earth behind walls/above ceiling of finished basement

Old 11-10-17, 07:22 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Putting diatomaceous earth behind walls/above ceiling of finished basement

Hi all. Question; what are your thoughts on putting diatomaceous earth behind the walls and above the ceiling in a finished basement? Our basement is currently partly finished, but we're going to rip out the disgusting/old ceiling tiles and wood paneling, and have it sheetrocked. I was thinking of asking the the contractor to sprinkle diatomaceous earth behind/above everything, to minimize creepy crawlers.

However, does diatomaceous earth 'go bad' at some point, and I wouldn't want it in the walls forever? Or do I not want small pests dying in the walls?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Old 11-10-17, 08:35 AM
Received 462 Votes on 430 Posts
Had never really known what this was but found this interesting link. Dont think I'm going to whip up a bowl of the stuff for the health benefits but seems like a decent natural bug killer.

Guess it cant hurt!

https://draxe.com/diatomaceous-earth/

Old 11-10-17, 02:54 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 37 Posts
I never used DE or knew anyone in the industry who used it. Sodium Borate, in its various forms, does even more and can be used as a liquid spray or as a dust right out of the container. When we finished off a basement wall and built a pole barn with wood paneling inside we applied a layer of dust on the sill plate between every joist prior to the wall coverings going on. It makes that immediate area toxic to crawling insects and termites (though it’s only part of a complete treatment) and as a fungus prevent should moisture get in. I would not apply any dust on top of the sheetrock but would apply it on the exposed sill plate on top of the foundation wall.

I’ve enclosed two links though there are other brands that use the same active ingredient: Sodium Borate is a naturally occurring mineral and a salt of boric acid.

The two links also have links that take you to the EPA approved label instructions and MSD sheets

https://pestcontrol.domyownpestcontr...core&view=grid

https://pestcontrol.domyownpestcontr...core&view=grid

Last edited by PAbugman; 11-10-17 at 02:57 PM. Reason: addled’; info
Old 11-10-17, 04:39 PM
J
Received 88 Votes on 81 Posts
Total waste of time!
If I was going to have anything done, I'd go with PAbugmans advice.
That would address any insect that crawled over it or tried to eat it.

Old 11-15-17, 06:25 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks all. Does the Sodium Borate last 'forever', or is it just a one-time, quick fix, to stop crawlers from coming in during construction?

Old 11-15-17, 07:23 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 37 Posts
The borates lasts as long as it stays in place. Running water will wash it away eventually. Rainwater would be a slow example of running water. If used on exterior it should be covered with siding, urethane, paint, etc. It can only be used on bare wood though when using for wood-destroying insects.

It is an inorganic material and will be there and working for several lifetimes (ours).

Last edited by PAbugman; 11-15-17 at 07:29 AM. Reason: add info
Old 11-19-17, 09:45 PM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I have not used pesticides since 2002, except for termites recently because I had no choice. Otherwise, I use DE exclusively and will never touch toxic chemicals again. It's organic and the closest thing to non-toxic. I would have no problem putting it in a wall cavity or ceiling and leaving it there forever. Or apply it as PAbugman advises. It's supposed to work on anything with an exoskeleton: crickets, roaches, some termites, scorpions, bedbugs.

I was curious to see if it really works on scorpions. I once captured a live scorpion and put it in a jar sprinkled with DE. I checked on it periodically, and the critter was dead in about 36 hours. I spread it around the outside perimeter of the house and around the baseboard inside too. You can also apply it under the mattress, box spring, and bed frame to prevent bedbugs. Use a dust mask when you apply it.

I have not heard anything about it going bad or 'stale.'

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: