Yellow jackets yikes

Old 05-06-18, 12:47 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yellow jackets yikes

I'm concerned because of the sudden appearance of yellow jackets, which appear to be Queens, in my family room. About a week ago, my neighbor's tree fell in my yard after an ice storm. He chopped up the tree and instead of throwing out the large pieces of wood, I decided to keep some of it as firewood. Unfortunately I didn't inspect the wood. I just brought it in and set it next to my fireplace. About a week goes by and I noticed a queen yellow jacket flying around that general area. I thought it was just one that had come in through the door. So I killed her and suddenly two more Yellow Jackets appear in the family room. I'm no expert but these other 2 also appeared to be Queens. It's my understanding that any yellow jacket you see in early spring is more than likely a queen. What gets me is that I took all of the firewood back out of my house. And even after I removed the firewood completely from my home and inspected the entire family room one evening, the very next day more Yellow Jacket Queens showed up. And they showed up in the window sill. When I look out the window, I see several Yellow Jackets going in and out of my house where the brick and the aluminum siding meet. I went outside with my mother and my aunt last night and sprayed every possible place we could with raid. About 4 years ago I had a very serious problem with a large Hive in the chimney. I got that treated and thankfully nothing returned. That occurred in September 2014.
My questions are, do Queens hide in firewood? Do you think she started building a nest in my house? How likely is it that I could have a large active Hive in my wall this early in Spring? Any other advice? I do have Terminix coming out on Tuesday.

Old 05-06-18, 03:51 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
I doubt that the yellow jackets came from the firewood though it does happen. I'm thinking that the timing is just coincidental. Where they are entering/exiting between brick and siding is where they have a nest just inside that point, 1 to 4 feet from the entry point.

It's very early in the season for nesting so that part is confusing. I'm anxious to hear what you learn about it. Yellow jackets in general don't over winter, just the queens as you know. Honey bees, on the other hand, do overwinter as a hive.

Consider taking specimens to your local county agricultural extension agent as they will give accurate, objective info.

Keep us posted.

Old 05-06-18, 05:40 PM
K
Thanks! Yes it's confusing because there shouldn't be any huge hives this early in the season. I don't hear any buzzing in the walls. I heard buzzing in the walls last time I had this problem but that was in late summer early fall. I'm pretty sure these were Queens. It's just odd that I would have 3 Queens in my family room at one time
I was going to upload a picture of them but I can't seem to do that in this forum. Unless I'm missing something. This is making me really nervous. I actually got a different pest control company to come out. I cancelled Terminix because they couldn't make it until Tuesday. I have another company that will be here tomorrow between 1 and 6.

Old 05-06-18, 07:36 PM
K
Name:  Screenshot_20180506-102201.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  7.1 KB

Here is a picture of the three dead supposedly Queens. I'm pretty sure they are yellow jackets

Old 05-07-18, 01:21 AM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Eh, I don't think you're going to find multiple queens for any insect species.
Those look like carpenter wasps.

Do you have double hung windows? If so, open the TOP of a south facing window about 1/8 of an inch.
Place a saucer of sugar water in that window, along with something fragrant, fresh flowers, herbal tea bag.
They'll follow the scent, find the water, and then follow the sun and climb up the window and leave.

Old 05-07-18, 06:16 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Do an internet search for European hornets. They are relatively new and look like giant yellow jackets. I don't know if they overwinter as a hive or just as queens. I'm going to read about them soon. They do sting buy they are very passive and very much attracted to light. What's odd about them is that they are active at night unlike other bee/wasp species. We live in PA, in the woods, and throughout the summer months they will fly right into our garage when lights are on. The hover slowly, remindful of a slow hummingbird.

Keep us posted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: