Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Insect, Pests and Animal Control. Home Pets and Farm Animals > Indoor and Outdoor Insect and Pest Control
Reload this Page >

Yellow jackets made home in birdhouse 3 ft above ground, spray recommendations?

Old 09-30-18, 11:09 AM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts

I'm seeing a lot of activity as far as the yellow jackets going in and out of the birdhouse. That bird house is along my path to the shed so I don't want to go in the path of all that foot traffic / flying traffic. There's a variety of sprays at HD that can be used to kill these SoBs. Which one is the best, there's a lot of yellow jackets in there, in fact so many that they are spilling out of the entrance hole :-o

Old 09-30-18, 05:25 PM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
In an enclosed space such as a birdhouse I'd use any of the wasp spray aerosols (jet type spray). I'd do it in the evening while you can still see but close to dark as all the foragers will be in there. Give it a five to ten second blast. I'd wear glasses/goggles and make sure to get the nozzle just inside the bird house as opposed to standing back and trying to hit the little hole. That will cause waste, splash back, and little chemical getting to where it needs to go.

Old 10-08-18, 06:02 AM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PAbugman
In an enclosed space such as a birdhouse I'd use any of the wasp spray aerosols (jet type spray). I'd do it in the evening while you can still see but close to dark as all the foragers will be in there. Give it a five to ten second blast. I'd wear glasses/goggles and make sure to get the nozzle just inside the bird house as opposed to standing back and trying to hit the little hole. That will cause waste, splash back, and little chemical getting to where it needs to go.
Did exactly that and took a big black bag and dumped all the wasp houses in it, tied it up and sent it out and put it in the garbage

Old 10-08-18, 06:18 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Are you 100% sure they are yellow jackets ? There are hornets with similar colors...but different body shapes. Same with wasps. I would wait until dark...and then some. Late at night. Check for an alternate exit in the birdhouse, first. Have a pre-planned exit strategy...in case things go wrong.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: