How to treat branches for bugs without baking or damaging bark?

Old 01-11-19, 07:32 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to treat branches for bugs without baking or damaging bark?

I recently collected some birch branches from the woods to use in a craft project. (The branches were already dead/ fallen on the ground). I am worried about bugs/eggs being underneath the bark. All my searches told me to bake the wood but they are too large for my oven. Others say to wrap in plastic and leave in the sun but it is dead of winter and 24f here in Massachusetts. I want to keep the bark intact as well, so I’m not sure what my options are. If anybody has any advice I would seriously appreciate it!

Old 01-11-19, 08:14 AM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
My first thought is to look for small holes. Second is to dunk them in your tub for 24 hours.

Old 01-11-19, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I moved your post to pest control, since your question has to do with getting rid of bugs as opposed to the craft of what you'll do with the branches.

Old 01-11-19, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I know you can make a large portable oven with a piece of culvert and a nipco heater... but not like most people have either of those just laying around.

Old 01-11-19, 09:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Submerging under water or treating with a pesticide will not work against eggs or any larvae burrowed into the wood. The only effective method for home treatment is heat. You've got to bake them if you want to kill anything hiding inside.

Old 01-13-19, 06:30 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
Deep freezing could work as long as the freezer is -10degrees F or less. I'd leave them in for 5 days or more. I imagine the branches are too big for that though, if it's too big for an oven.

Otherwise Treating with an insecticide could have some value but not for eggs and such. Depending on the nature of the craft activity you wouldn't want a surface insecticide anyway.

Another option is to simply tolerate whatever insects emerge as they won't be harmful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: