Re-purpose mosquito fog solution

Old 06-12-19, 05:15 AM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Re-purpose mosquito fog solution

We recently moved to a location were mosquito aren't a huge problem. I have a surplus of fog solution. Will this pesticide work on spiders and other pest. I would like to use it to fog, garages, soffits, and possibly or crawl space.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-19, 07:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 588 Posts
I don't know if it is labeled for that use but the mosquito smoke oil I have has been effective on almost all insects. I don't like to use it on or in parts of the house. I learned the hard way how badly my windows in the lake cottage were sealed when I tried fogging a wasp nest between the window and storm. It killed the wasps but half the smoke seemed to end up inside the house.

newcyclist voted this post useful.
Old 06-12-19, 07:36 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
Most likely it will be good for killing exposed insects. Probably no residual life but need to know the "active ingredient" to be sure. The "active ingredient" will tell us specifically what it is. Then we can make more accurate assessments.

Old 06-12-19, 08:27 AM
N
Looks confusing to me

Resmethrin [ 5-(phenylmethyl)-3-furanyl] methyl 2,
2-dimethyl-3-(2-methyl-1-propenyl)
cyclopropanecarboxylate

Old 06-12-19, 10:28 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
I haven't seen or heard of this being used for some years. Used to be popular but it is/was used for mosquitoes and flying insects, indoors and out. Reading the article it would appear that your product has to be at least 4 years old. I remember it from the early 90's so it could be even that old.

Does the solution appear to have separated at all? Maybe hard to tell because of the jug/packaging. In any case, I'd shake it up well and make sure that it appears the same color and uniform level of clarity throughout.

I'd use it as a space spray in non-living areas as you've suggested. The soffit idea; do you mean to treat from inside the attic/garage ceiling out towards the soffits? If so, that's a good use. Otherwise, if what you're suggesting is treating the soffits from the exterior, I wouldn't do that as there is no void space for it to occupy. Being that this is an oil, and an old oil at that, I wouldn't apply this anywhere that you may see visible deposits. Won't hurt aesthetics in the crawl space, garage, unfinished areas but don't use it in living areas.

https://www.epa.gov/mosquitocontrol/...squito-control

Old 06-12-19, 10:37 AM
N
Thank you for the info. You are correct I have had this for about 4 years.

PAbugman voted this post useful.

Last edited by newcyclist; 06-12-19 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-12-19, 04:56 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Just to be clear, spiders are not pests; they are beneficial animals which eat pests.