White mites crawling inside house

Old 09-29-19, 02:30 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
White mites crawling inside house

Hi,
Im having a problem with small white bugs crawling over furniture in my house. They are everywhere and are very small and can only be seen close up. They are white and like dust mites. I understand dust mites are not visible so i dont know what these are. One wouldn't know they are there until they look very closely. The house is detached and i dont have any pets.
Please can someone help me with this issue. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-29-19, 04:29 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
I'm assuming that they are too small to photograph but maybe you can use a magnifying glass at least to help you. Do a search for "psocids" and compare the images and see what you think. Psocids (P is silent) sometimes called "booklice" live in damp areas. If you've ever had storm/water damage to your house where the inside of walls got wet, that is what they prefer.

What geographic area are you in? That info can be helpful when dealing with insects/animals.

Old 09-29-19, 11:43 AM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
The mites are really tiny. I live in a 1901 Edwardian detached property with 7 bedrooms. The house has a lot of old wooden furniture. I live in Lancashire. The house does have damp and has humidity problems. Are there any known ways to get rid of them? I’ve been using household wood cleaning products to wipe down surfaces.

EDIT- ive been looking online and think they are mould mites. However, do mould mites live on furniture?

Last edited by Ym223; 09-29-19 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 04:48 AM
P
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 110 Upvotes on 103 Posts
It's time to get a positive identification before proceeding in any direction. Once we know what they are, we will understand what harborage they prefer, food choices, preferred environment and control options, mechanical, physical and chemical.

Here in the states we have County Agricultural Extension offices/agents that are an extension of a university. Here in Pennsylvania it is Penn State. Find the equivalent office where you are and ask them how to retrieve samples of insects this tiny. It may be as simple as using clear tape gently, but ask them first.

In any case, I can't help but think that humidity/moisture control will be necessary. Mites, all types, live in a wide variety of environments and will travel through and into other environments. If it is in fact mold mites, then they are living wherever dampness is satisfactory for them. Could be upholstered furniture, inside walls, under carpet, damp wooden flooring, ceiling/roof, all of the above, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: