DIY Mosquito Dunks... Anyone know how to make a DIY version of these?

Old 08-09-23, 08:42 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb DIY Mosquito Dunks... Anyone know how to make a DIY version of these?

Hi all,

I run through a lot of these mosquito dunks: https://www.amazon.com/Mosquito-Dunk.../dp/B0002ASQ4A

Trying to save some money here... does anyone know how to make a DIY version of them?

Old 08-09-23, 09:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
I'm a brewer and have years experience and the equipment for storing, propagating and harvesting yeast. I might have a chance with part of the process. I don't think "normal" skills and tools will allow you much success.

Since BTI is produced by a bacteria Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis the first step is breeding/producing that bacteria. Since you probably want to skip the expensive concentrating and dehydrating phase of production you'd probably try just dumping your bacteria culture into whatever body of water you are inoculating. That means you have to produce a new batch every time, immediately before use. Me, I'd just stick with store bought. You could look into buying in bulk from more commercial sources to reduce the per use cost.

meowmeowbass voted this post useful.
Old 08-09-23, 09:21 AM
M
Hey! I think you're completely right on the production of the BTI. I should have said... that I found a website that sells dried BTI powder. So I was more looking for how to have this slowly release / float / etc.

Old 08-09-23, 10:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
You need to find a slow dissolving medium in which you can suspend the BTI. What material depends on how long you want it to take to dissolve. It will be difficult since most household chemicals (salt, sugar, baking soda...) dissolve much too quickly.

People have tried making their own slow release pool chlorination tablets and slow release feeding pucks for their aquarium fish. Check out those forums to see what people are using for their slow release formulas.

How fast something dissolves will partially depend on the water chemistry (pH mainly). I'd test the water where you will be using these BTI tabs so you can pick an appropriate recipe to get the dissolve rate you want.

meowmeowbass voted this post useful.
Old 08-09-23, 10:39 AM
M
great idea - will search the web for those! having trouble finding any results using the site's search

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: