Drafty Addition

Old 02-04-16, 12:17 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drafty Addition

We bought a house in foreclosure so we lack any kind of knowledge about the house, except what I have found poking around in the walls.

My question concerns the most recent addition. It is a two story 2X4 construction. They have insulated the interior walls and used foam board for the outside. Taking off some siding I found they didnt tape any seams and and did not use foam board where the old house meets the addition. This has lead to quite a draft on windy Western PA days, not to mention a slight movement of the addition.

I am looking for some advice on how to proceed.
Since I do not want to tear into the walls, I am going to take off the siding and blue board, and put OSB on the studs, then cover that with the old foam board, then wrap it before wrapping it.

For the older portion of the house, I dont believe they insulated all the walls. I have broken into a couple of places in the old wall and found some insulation and some with no insulation. I did find very shoddy electrical work and I am afraid to blow in insulation, not knowing what is behind the wall. The old walls still have the old asbestos siding on them over the 1X??? boards. I am planning on removing the siding, taking off the 1Xs, fix any electrical i run across, fiber roll insulate, then OSB, Foam Board, and wrap.

Can anybody tell me if this is the absolute wrong way to go about this, or is this just going to be the major pain in the behind that I am foreseeing it to be?

Thank you.

Old 02-04-16, 03:04 PM
J
Received 99 Votes on 87 Posts
Whole post does not make a lot of since.
EG "then wrap it before wrapping it"
We have no pictures.
How old is this house.
Old ungrounded wiring?
In that area any newer addition should have been 2 X 6's not 2 X 4's.
What does movement of the addition have to do with foam board?
A poor footing or improperly done foundation is a more likely cause.

Old 02-04-16, 04:52 PM
M
Sorry about that.
The original house was built in 1950. Digging in through tax records our county shows that the addition was possibly put in in 1999. The addition is 23'X17' with no interior rooms. The 1st floor is the TV/Living room and the 2nd floor is our bedroom.

I could be wrong about the 2X4 walls, but I am almost positive the one time I had an exterior wall open it was 2X4 and not 2X6, I hope it is the later.
The movement is, you can feel the house shake (albeit a little, but a house shouldnt move at all in my opinion) when it is really windy. I took this to be because the studs aren't really tied together, besides by the floor and the ceiling.

The wrap before wrapping was my bad. I am planning on using house wrap over the foam board, before I put the siding back on.

(I have only found two like this in the old part of the house.)
As far as electrical I have found electrical outlets in what looked like half boxes in the back of closets. This is the only picture I have of one. This is exactly how i found it, no tampering on my end. The wires I found attached like this went to lights either outside or in the room it was discovered in. Name:  IMG_20160102_171227684.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  29.6 KB

Old 02-04-16, 05:05 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Are you saying they used foam board on the outside instead of plywood or osb sheathing and then installed siding over that?

If so, they probably did not pull permits.

Bud

Old 02-05-16, 06:24 AM
M
Correct, that is what they did. No OSB, just the foam board.

So taking the foam board off and putting up osb on the studs, then putting the foam board back on, should not be an issue with moisture/condensation/etc...?
What about around windows and doors? I am planning on replacing the windows as i do this. Can i put the window on the foam board (using nails/screws long enough to reach the wood)? Or should I instead replace the foam with wood where the window would be installed?

Old 02-05-16, 06:55 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
First, draw up your plans and get your permits. The code officials may have requirements involving where and how much foam you use. You don't have a prior owner to lay the blame on for not doing this right, but the next owner will have you and you have the obligation to do this right.

Note, there is a ratio for the amount of rigid insulation you can install on the outside with different amounts on the inside.

Also note, when you start removing the foam, the house may become even more unstable than it apparently already is. Temporary bracing should be used as needed.

No sense going further with advice until your local officials approve what you need to do.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: