Rigid insulation for wall

Old 07-17-16, 07:58 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rigid insulation for wall

I need to fill a 14 inch wide wall space with some kind of rigid insulation. There was formerly straw bale. Its about 7 ft tall.Wide open cavern. Some 2/4 studs will be added on the outer side for nailing sheathing only.THe timber frame design does not require structural studs.
I tried rigging rolled insulation in one wall and it worked but was a real pain to tie up in there. I would rather fit pieces of stiff insul maybe in 2 layers to get at least 13 inches thick. I want R30 at least. I dont want any spray insul.
Is there any new material that would fit the bill???? maybe 6 inch thick by 2 ft wide material
I can stack in there that would be rigid and cut easily to fit. Can you get a styrofoam like material
and achieve R30 in 13-14 inches.??

Old 07-17-16, 11:13 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Two-inch thick polyisocyanurate is R 14.4. I'll let you do the arithmetic. You can use the crack filler spray foam to both glue it into place and to fill in around the edges.

Old 07-20-16, 08:44 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
does that have an formaldehyde or VOCs??

Old 07-20-16, 04:49 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I can't state as an absolute fact that no out-gassing of VOCs or formaldehyde won't occur but I have several sheets of the stuff in my "project" room and I have never detected any problem. I'm generally able to do so with other products such as particle board or paints.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: