Paper insulation backing - Distance from light.

Old 07-18-16, 05:36 PM
E
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Paper insulation backing - Distance from light.

This is the only place I've run into this issue. Is there any problem with this paper being about 1.5 inches from the back of a 50w dichroic MR16 bulb.

Old 07-18-16, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Is the fixture IC or NON IC??

Old 07-18-16, 05:49 PM
E
The fixture doesn't say. That's not really a thing here. The fixture is just a clip that holds the bulb in place and sprung arms to hold it in the cutout. There is no back to the fixture

Also to clarify here is no insulation around the fixture, the insulation is wrapped around the duct in the pic. It wouldn't be contact anyways there is a little airflow clearance.

Edit this is the fixture, it's not exactly the hight of technical design...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68595[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68596[/ATTACH]

Attached Images   
Old 07-18-16, 06:17 PM
If there is no housing above the ceiling to contain the heat, then I would not install it within 6" of the paper insulation backing. It will have considerable heat and it will rise naturally.

Old 07-18-16, 06:24 PM
E
If I pull of the paper and just leave the fiber glass is that better or worse (I'm not sure if you can even do that, just spitballing)? Otherwise I guess i could try and cut away a little bit of the insulation so nothings closer than 6 inches.

Old 07-18-16, 06:35 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
It would be best if we knew where this was located, attic, between floors, other? Basically, if contained with not escape for the heat, the temperature will rise to extreme levels even with a much smaller heat source. So your issue more dependent upon the other space around that lamp. There is also a concern with the radiant heat transfer if there is no enclosure.

Curious, what is that white material we see in the first picture?

Bud

Old 07-18-16, 07:45 PM
E
Bud, it's between floors. The white in the first picture is the ceiling it's plaster. The plenum is about 2 ft high and is vented to the outside. The other heat sources would be the other light fixtures and that duct in winter months (in summer months it'll be a heat sink).

It's the radiant heat I'm worried about since I doubt that the temp ever gets that high in there.

For reference here is what one of the fixtures looks like installed in ceiling. Another duct visible for reference.

Last edited by Esand1; 07-18-16 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-19-16, 04:47 AM
Bud. Mental note. He is in Argentina.

Old 07-19-16, 05:00 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Thanks Larry.
If ambient heat is not a concern, then you can block the radiant heat with a simple wrap of aluminum foil or other shiny metal surface.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: