Insulation advice..

Old 08-08-16, 09:15 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulation advice..

I have a two family being remolded right now, I need advice on insulation. I got pricing from two companies and need help in selecting the best option:

1st quote = $10,650

Roof Line
BASF Spraytite 178 Closed-Cell 6" R-41.40 at dormer ceiling

Slope to Plate
BASF Spraytite 178 Closed-Cell 6" R-41.40

Exterior Walls
BASF Spraytite 178 Closed-Cell 3" R-20.10 at 2nd floor

Stairway Walls
BASF Spraytite 178 Closed-Cell 2" R-13.40 at 2nd floor

Blockers & Runners
BASF Spraytite 178 Closed-Cell 3" R-20.10 in basement

2nd quote = $8,000

Roofline - spray from eaves to ridge. Install R-36 5" thick closed cell foam.

2nd Floor Walls - This includes the "cheek" walls. Install R-21 3" thick closed cell foam

NSI to seal around window and door jambs with low pressure canned foam and/or latex caulk.

Basement is Extra:

Basement Rim Joist - Install R-21 3" thick closed cell foam in rim joists of basement, sealed to top of foundation wall.

Install code required DC 315 Spray Applied 15 Minute Thermal Barrier over closed cell foam

BASEMENT PACKAGE TOTAL: $1,822.86 (Package Is NOT Included In Total)
GrandTotal

thank you in advance!

opers13

Old 08-08-16, 04:11 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Just some one line thoughts.

How many days do you need to stay out of the house while this cures?

Be sure you get their certificate of insurance and that is has enough coverage in case the foam job stinks. Some end up with smell problems and that can be especially bad if it is a rental. Also bad if all the foam has to come out.

Not a pro on foam, but in most cases 6" needs to be applied in 2 or more lifts, not all at once. Guidelines may have changed, check the mfg.

With that much foam you may have an air exchange issue and need to address that with an air exchange unit (HRV or ERV) or programmed exhaust fan.

If heat or hot water is a naturally drafted combustion unit then the house needs to be tested to see just how tight it ends up. Same testing is used to determine your fresh air requirements. Not sure how strict these rules become if it is a rental unit.

You seem to have already decided on foam insulation, but if you want more input, Google "Richard Beyer foam insulation problems". He explains it better than I can.

All spaces inside the foamed envelope need to be conditioned, heat and ac.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: