Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

vapour barrier or not with sealed foam board already on basement wall?

Old 10-01-16, 11:14 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Should I put vapour barrier on the room-side of a 2 x 3 framed wall in my basement? I will be insulating that wall with a r12 pink bat insulation.

I have installed 1 1/2" foam board around the rim joists (see here) and on the walls. I taped all around with Tuck tape, it should be air tight. That is meant to be my vapour barrier to the outside.

My concern is that by putting a vapour barrier on the stud wall that is against the foam it will lock in any moisture that gets in from the room side and create a mold problem. Is there something permeable I can put on the stud wall on the room side or should I just leave it an put up wall board?
thanks.

Old 10-01-16, 11:41 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Your rigid foam against the wall is probably a class 2 vapor diffusion retarder, which means it allows a small amount of drying to the inside, which is good. You should omit any additional vapor barrier and just allow that moisture (very little) to pass to the inside where your heat or air conditioning can easily handle it.

Just install your unfaced batt insulation and then your drywall.

Bud

Last edited by Bud9051; 10-01-16 at 11:42 AM. Reason: correction

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: