Dr.EnergySaver and Silver Glo Foam

Old 11-04-16, 10:32 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dr.EnergySaver and Silver Glo Foam

Hey There,

I've been researching methods to insulate my home starting with the attic.

The method I've been drawn to is insulating the attic with rigid foam board. The idea of turning my attic into a conditioned space makes a lot of sense to me, especially because I plan to add HVAC ventilation to the space later.

Some information about my house... Built 1925, two story, the closest thing I can compare it to is a cape, although not exactly a traditional cape. It's got 4 knee closets, open to the rafters, and not insulated. Attic, also not insulated.

So foam board absolutely makes sense in the knee closest, and makes sense in the attic assuming I eventually add HVAC equipment.

This brings me to Silver Glo, the product looks great, but I can't find anywhere to buy it. I have found 1 inch foam board with a radiant wrap on one side. Is it ok to layer foam boards over one another to get a better R value? If so is there a preferred method to do it?

To be clear, the idea is to create an air tight foam insulated space by foaming and taping the spaces between the foam boards. The space between the rafter and the roof vent still allows for proper air flow on the roof, while turning the attic/knee closets into conditioned space.

Has anyone tried this method?

Any info is appreciated,

Thanks!

Old 11-04-16, 10:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Yes, you can layer foam, just stagger the joints.

Beyond that, I'm having trouble figuring out what you're planning. I first thought you were planning a hot roof with the foam on the underside of the sheathing but toward the end when you mentioned air flow I figured I must have it wrong.

Old 11-04-16, 11:35 AM
K
Thanks for the input on foam, can I glue the layers together or do I have to screw each layer in?

This should help explain it... You attach the foam board to the bottom of the rafter, not in the joist.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...37904068,d.eWE

Old 11-04-16, 12:00 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
You attach the foam board to the bottom of the rafter, not in the joist
That sentence set me straight. You can glue the foam but I would definitely want the bottom layer screwed all the way to structure at least a couple times a sheet.

Old 11-04-16, 12:18 PM
K
Now that I think of it, maybe bottom and top layer just to snug everything up. Are there special screws with wide brims for foam work? I'm thinking like how roofing nails now have those plastic brims attached to them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: