New Addition - drywall mud

Old 12-21-16, 06:45 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I am having an addition built onto my 1951 brick ranch home. The addition is about 1000 sf plus a double-car garage plus a garage apartment. Currently my contractor has stored about 20 tubs of drywall mud in the unheated addition for the drywall. The mud has been subjected to freezing/thawing temps about a dozen times by now. Is that stuff still ok to use? I read that drywall mud should not be subjected to freezing.
Thanks in advance.
--Tami

Old 12-21-16, 08:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Think that the semi trailers that transport the stuff during the winter are heated? Nope.

From USG's website:

FROZEN MATERIAL GUIDELINES (1)
1. In the event the material is frozen, allow it to thaw completely.
2. Do not apply any form of heat to container.
3. Open the container carefully to prevent spilling any separated liquid. This is not water and must be remixed into the compound.
4. Do not add water until the material is remixed. Once the material remixes to a smooth, lump-free consistency, water may be added per USG recommendations to obtain the desired working properties. Do not use if the material is not smooth or lump free after remixing.

(1) For more information, refer to USG literature USG Sheetrock® Brand Ready-Mix Joint Compound Frozen Material Guidelines (J2155).

Any contractor worth his salt would know this and would mix it before using it.

Old 12-22-16, 02:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Also a bucket of j/c won't freeze as quickly as a bucket of water. While I've always tried to keep my j/c from freezing I've never had any issues with the mud freezing sitting in the van when the overnight temps drop into the 20's.

Old 12-22-16, 04:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Here is the other document... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...XSLGSZ1tXbT1MQ

The one thing I would add is that you should probably give the guy some heated space somewhere in the house or garage for things like this. It doesn't make sense for it to sit outside when it could just as easily be inside.

Old 12-22-16, 06:44 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who replied. The drywall mud is inside the unheated addition. We have a kerosene heater for the workers by day, but the overnight temps have been down into the teens a few times. The mud was delivered before the windows and doors went in so the temp in the addition has been the same temp as the great outdoors until recently.

I'm very happy to hear that the mud is still ok to use.
Thanks again.
--Tami

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: