Bathroom exterior wall help

Old 04-10-17, 10:05 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom exterior wall help

I have a small 10’x6’ bathroom and am completely gutting and redoing it. I have a question about the exterior and kitchen wall (the red lines in the picture). Do I put sheetrock on the tub wall, backer board, plastic anything? The exterior wall should I just put insulation or plastic as well. My bathroom will not have a vent but does have a window. I live in Maine and my exterior walls are set up from outside to inside – vinyl siding, plastic, foam board, diagonal boards to studs, roxal batt insulation, (no plastic) then sheetrock.

Attached Images  
Old 04-10-17, 11:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Your layering is good. No sheetrock in a wet area. If you plan on tiling, use concrete backer underlayment. Roxul needs no vapor barrier, but it is a good practice to line the stud walls with 6 mil plastic and let it exit below your cbu so the tile can cover it. That will allow errant moisture from the shower to have a place to go, namely back into the tub.

I may have jumped the gun. Do you have a shower, or just a tub?

Old 04-10-17, 12:33 PM
C
Im putting a new tub in with a 3 piece shower wall system.

Old 04-10-17, 03:01 PM
OK, the shower walls will be attached directly to your studs, so that is good. No further vapor barrier is needed with the Roxul. You may want to fur out the studs above the shower unit with 1/4" lattice strips to bring the sheetrock above it over the lip of the shower wall, which is 1/4" thick.

Old 04-10-17, 03:22 PM
C
So the exterior was just needs the roxul insulation and absolutely nothing else. Then the kitchen side wall needs nothing. Then I just place the tub walls on the studs and call it good?

Old 04-10-17, 05:39 PM
Yeah, kitchen wall won't need insulation, unless you want to keep sound level to a minimum. Sometimes that is a plus.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: