Attic baffles needed if no soffit ?

Old 05-05-17, 12:17 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attic baffles needed if no soffit ?

First, thanks for any input you can give me. Pictures below. My house's roof is a standard straight design - Soffit along the entire front with Ridge Vent. I have this question because the Truss' are off-set in a way that the front of the house has a big overhang (Soffit Area), maybe 1 foot to 1.5' all along the house. Whereas the back has no soffit or overhang other then the rain gutter. I'm installing Attic baffles on the front at the soffit between all of the rafters. Should I also be installing the baffles on the back where there is no soffit?
The house faces north so the rear of the house gets all of the afternoon sun. I'm also considering putting up some foil attic radiant barrier after the bafflers are in and then blow in insulation.
Speaking of that, if I don't need to use the baffles on the rear, can the blow in insulation go right to the corners where there is no soffit?

The house is a standard bi-level design and was built in 1976.

Atticfoil or RadiantGuard radiant barriers?

Last edited by kent55; 05-05-17 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-05-17, 01:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I might just do a gable fan on one end and let it pull from lover on the other side. If you have a ridge vent then never mind that will not work.

Old 05-05-17, 01:58 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Yes, while you are at it do them all, it isn't good to have the insulation up against the bottom of the roof. In addition, there are a few options for adding ventilation at the eaves when there are no soffits. Another important improvement is to air seal between house and attic. When you eliminate the warm humid winter air from the house entering the attic the ventilation requirements decrease significantly. There are a surprisingly large number of potential leaks and they are best addressed before you bury everything in lots of insulation, this link can help.
https://www.energystar.gov/ia/partne...ide_062507.pdf

Bud

Old 05-05-17, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
We keep one thread active in a single topic. So this one is your running thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: