What type of insulation material is this?


Old 07-05-17, 07:40 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type of insulation material is this?

My loft is full of a grey, fluffy material (on top of white fibreglass). I've had a look online and it looks to me like blown-in cellulose (though I've also seen mention of/photos of similar material that was described as loose-fill asbestos insulation. I anyone able to confirm what this material is? Thanks
Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-17, 09:57 AM
Marq1's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA MI
Posts: 6,721
Received 397 Votes on 371 Posts
It's not going to be possible to confirm positively with a picture, here is what my 10 year old cellulose looks like!

Name:  20170705_115254.jpg
Views: 2449
Size:  31.4 KB
Old 07-05-17, 11:13 AM
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 10,523
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Do you know the age of the house or approximately when the grey stuff was installed?

Mailing off a sample to get it tested is not that expensive and it would answer your concerns as well as any in the future when you sell.

Old 07-08-17, 03:14 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 5
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help - it does look like cellulose, both from the picture above and the Internet.
The house is ex local authority and was built in around 1948, I think. Given that it's on top of bags of fibreglass, it's hard to imagine the loose-fill is much older than forty years - and I'd have thought it unlikely that the council would have used loose-fill asbestos?
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: