Basement cinderblock drywall question

Old 07-07-17, 03:25 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement cinderblock drywall question

Hello, I've done some searches on the forums and haven't been able to find what I was looking for exactly so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm dealing with a 22.5 x 22 ft cinderblock basement. It is air conditioned and below my master bedroom. It currently has painted cinderblock walls with concrete floors. 2 of the walls are above grade and exposed to the outside. One backs up to the rest of the house and is actually right beside the walk-in crawl space. The last one is underneath a concrete patio. There was a leak about 15 years ago that caused them to do some excavation and repair on the one wall and since then it has been dry. It is my intention to frame the walls (with 2x4) along the exterior walls, and hang drywall. Paint and lay down carpet. I've looked at the code and the requirement is that any below grade wall be interior insulated with r5 xps or something similar and then r-13 bats in the framing. This part I feel like I have a grasp on. My question is regarding the other 3 walls and the floor. Code says above grade walls just need the r-13 bats and not the r5 so I'm wanting to go that route unless I absolutely need to for water or vapor reasons (due to the walls being cinder block). If I do need to put something on the exterior walls, would (PROPINKŪ Fanfold Underlayment Board) work? What about the wall facing the crawl space?

The same goes for the floors. I'd rather not put down sub-flooring and just go with a thick pad and carpet since the floors are dry. Let me know if what I'm thinking is wrong and what is the best next step.

edit: I should mention I'm in climate zone 3

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: