Not enough soffit frontage for venting

Old 07-15-17, 10:02 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not enough soffit frontage for venting

I have a cape cod that is roughly shaped like a "t", at least originally. It currently is not vented. Because of the roof shape, the largest of the side attics has gable walls on substantially all of its sides, particularly since a small addition done long ago would make venting through it likely difficult if not impossible. As a result I have about 36" soffit frontage through which I can vent.

My plan is to vent the attic and should not have a problem with the other side attics in this house with the exception of the one described above. I have seen products offered that would allow intake venting through the roof, but I am very skeptical about doing so. My question was whether it would be a huge mistake to try to vent it through the gable walls toward the base of the attic for purposes of additional air intake.

As is, the only soffits available for air intake are only inches from where I'm considering adding a vent through the gable. So, while I know it's not the optimal situation for intake venting (being that it would be in the side of the attic), it seemed like a decent solution to the problem of not possibly having enough soffit space to provide even remotely the amount of air intake I need.

Thanks and any help you can provide is appreciated.

Old 07-16-17, 05:17 AM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is the reason for the vent so you can insulate the attic?

Old 07-16-17, 05:54 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Attic venting is both vent area (Net Free Area) NFA and vent location. Its primary purpose is to remove any moisture that passes through the ceiling and any leaks and to remove heat from the house in winter. It helps very little in removing heat during the summer. Summer protection from attic heat requires lots of insulation and some ventilation.

In addition to insulation/ventilation you will want to review sealing air leaks into that attic, considered the best return on time and money.

Some pictures would help.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: