Insulating my cottage

Old 05-09-18, 08:45 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulating my cottage

Hi guys and girls
I'm new here.
Got a question about insulating my cottage.
Location is 30 minutes south of Bancroft in Ontario Canada.
We use this cottage all year almost every weekend, but we don't heat it during the week. Heat source is wood burning fireplace.
My cottage roof is built with 2 x 6 and are 16 on centers.
Exterior is shingle roof, with steel roof mounted on top.
We have had leaks in the past, and I have gone up on the roof and replaced all screws which appear to have damaged rubber washers.

Last year I was given 160 batts of R20 insulation free. I did some research and found conflicting information. So I simply put up the insulation and vapor barrier up. and waited to see what happened.
1st the ants made a nest (probably came with used insulation), got in exterminator who sprayed in the insulation and killed the ants.
Now we are noticing moisture behind the vapor barrier. Not sure what is happening.
The moisture is limited to the area closest to the peak of the roof.
We want to maintain the cathedral ceiling in the cottage. But don't want to finish the ceiling with this moisture in the insulation.

Any ideas?
Is it a leak?
Is it a lack of air circulation? (the suffits on the cottage don't have vents to let air in, so not sure if vents would help or make things worse)
Is it the spray from the exterminator?

Any advice would really help as I'm scratching my head.
Basically I'm filling the rafters (2x6) with R20 fiberglass insulation and then vapor barrier, then 1/4 plywood for ceiling.

Just like a 2x6 wall.

Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-18, 05:09 AM
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
Is it a lack of air circulation? (the soffits on the cottage don't have vents to let air in, so not sure if vents would help or make things worse)

To be honest there isnt enough information to understand what you have/how the insulation was installed/what the construction of of the roof is.

A few pictures would help.

BUT, from the description I suspect a vapor issue. Attics have to breathe, air flow in, air flow out. But this is just a guess at this point!

Old 05-10-18, 05:32 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi Aron and welcome to the forum.

Basically there are guidelines for insulating a vaulted ceiling and what you are doing is not on the list. Codes in the states (similar to Canada) do not allow fiber insulation in direct contact with the cold roof.

First step is for you to read up on insulating vaulted ceilings and how to either ventilate a space above the insulation or fill the cavities completely but include sufficient closed cell foam below the roof to ensure all interior surfaces will remain above the dew point. The second option may not be advisable due to the intermittent heating.

Here's some reading:
How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

Note, this article is for houses heated 365.

Bud

Old 05-10-18, 06:52 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok here are some pictures the first one is before I started building the loft the second is after I started.

Please shed some light.
I'm hoping I don't have to rip it all down. Basically there is no attic space, as the insulation takes up all the space in the rafters.

When foam vents solve the problem?

Again any advice would help.

Attached Images