How should I insulate these lights?

Old 09-25-18, 11:52 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face How should I insulate these lights?

Hey everyone,

I'm insulating my garage ceiling before the winter hits. The walls are already done so don't have to worry about that. I plan on installing cardboard baffles first then filling the 2x4 rafters with R20 F/G bats and finally finishing with a layer of poly. I live in a cold climate where it can easily hit -30 celsius (-22 fahrenheit) so I'm hoping I can get it a decent temperature with a single space heater or two if needed.

Now to the question at hand. Can I insulate right up to these lights (I will attach a pic of them)? I know if it says IC on it then I can but I can't see anything written on them. Can I just insulate right around this light bulb standard style boxes? There is plastic installed already around the back side of it and the plastic has not melted or anything crazy. Also can I insulate right over top (or i guess it would be the back side) of the fluorescent lights? Maybe I have to put some covers tenmat covers over them?

Many thanks

Attached Images   
Old 09-26-18, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,581 Likes on 1,417 Posts
You generally want to insulate the ceiling, not the rafters. If you meant ceiling joists, then yes. As for the florescents, you would generally have something between the insulation and the fixture... osb, drywall, etc. You don't want the insulation to be able to droop blow down or fall out and touch a 300 watt bulb that someone put in it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: