Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

R ratings and their impact on heat and noise insulation

Old 11-29-18, 08:52 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Greetings from Taiwan!

I am currently renovating an old apartment in Taipei. Part of this involve building up walls, and insulating a ceiling. Unfortunately there is very little information available on the market in Taiwan, and even sellers hardly know much (this is something quite peculiar to this lovely country).

Long story short, I have to make several choices between different type of glass wool ratings. Here in Taiwan they call them 12K, 16K, 20K... Does this mean anything to you?
I reckon this is related to the R rating of the insulation, which brings me to my next questions: How does glass wool perform? Does an R rating twice as high means the wool performs twice as well when it comes to heat and cold insulation? Does this also apply to noise?
I am basically trying to choose between 1 or 2 layers of insulation.

Thank you for your help, or as they say here ************

Last edited by Shadeladie; 11-29-18 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Posts in languages other than English are prohibited. DoItYourself.com is a Global site, but not multi-lingual.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-18, 10:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
Glass wool insulation is very common in North America. It insulates well. Insects do not eat it though they can burrow through or live in it. Mold and mildew can not feed on it. It does not burn and it does a reasonable job at absorbing sound.

R value relates to insulating value. It has nothing to do with sound absorption. In general more dense insulation provides better sound absorption, especially with lower frequencies.

Here is a Wikipedia article describing insulation values. The section titled "U factor/U value" describes what K means.