Best insulation option where wall will be exposed.

Old 01-04-19, 11:35 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best insulation option where wall will be exposed.

Hi everyone, need to replace the insulation in one wall of my laundry room after a minor pipe burst a few months back. Currently, wall is open with fibreglass insulation, paper, then vapour barrier. I am really not sure of my options here since there is a lot of piping in this wall for my laundry pump, water shutoffs, water softener etc. I was going to use rockwool but with all of the piping this may not be the best stuff to work with.

I guess what I am asking is, what option do I have that will be easy to install with all the piping and still look ok since I am quite sure I cannot cover this wall up. I am looking to put the house up for sale in spring and just want it to look half-decent, but if all I can do is put the vapour barrier back up then that's what I will do. Thanks in advance.

Please see pics:

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-19, 01:22 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I'm not a fan of the plastic bag vapor barrier like that. While it would be quite a bit of work to cut and fit it all, I would lean toward rock wool.

Old 01-05-19, 12:18 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the paper on the insulation is also vapor barrier, then you have two vapor barriers back to back which would not allow moisture to dry through.

Old 01-05-19, 03:49 AM
Received 396 Votes on 370 Posts
The paper is considered a retarder, the plastic is a barrier, for a basement you never want a barrier (plastic) which in the worst case can trap moisture.

Another option, what I do in my unfinished but insulated basement area, is to but up a layer of Tyvek material.

Material is the right height, it;s easy to work with, wont trap moisture and will seal up all the fiberglass fibers!