Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Insulation, Radiant and Vapor Barriers
Reload this Page >

How much should I expect to pay for spray in attic insulation ?

Old 02-12-19, 02:15 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Looking to maybe replacing my attic insulation. What kind of cost am I looking at?

1800sq ft 2 story, top floor about 850( attic perimeter)

milwaukee Wisconsin... calls for r38+, I believe it's level 6

open cell and closed cell, closed cell correct?

Is there a huge advantage to spray in, or am I saving lots of money if I do batts?

Thanks in advance for any info

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-19, 03:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 638 Votes on 588 Posts
Contact several insulation contractors and get estimates. Much of the cost will be removing your old insulation. By far the cheapest method would be to spray in cellulose or fiberglass on top of what you already have. Removing your old insulation and spraying in new foam is possibly the most expensive way to go.

Old 02-12-19, 04:04 PM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
Looking to maybe replacing my attic insulation
I know it's been discussed but you don't need to replace, just add!

Is there a huge advantage to spray in, or am I saving lots of money if I do batts?
Imagine this, dragging all that insulation through the house, up into the attic.

Now you get to unpack it all, crawl around, over, and under all the rafters trying to lay out all those batts in a nice neat order. Opps, be careful, don't want to step somewhere you don't want to!

It's a horrible job trying to install batts, spraying cellulose is not too bad, I've done it several times, it's a one day really dirty/dusty job!

Old 02-12-19, 04:08 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
There are at times very complicated spaces where spray in simplifies the process and provides better results. But any place that can easily be insulated with batts will see no benefit from spray foam, I'll add a star to that statement.

The exception is when the batt insulation job doesn't get the full treatment.

Spray foam gains much of its advantage because of its air sealing properties but that job (the air sealing) can be done along with the batt install.

In addition, there are better batts, like Roxul that have a bit higher r-value and provide a tight fit.

You will need to get a local estimate as Pilot suggests but I use $1 per board ft (bf) to get a ballpark number. Bigger jobs cost less per bf and smaller jobs more. 850 ft² times 6" thick = $5,100. I'll wait for you to get up off of the floor. Remember that is just a guess but it is an example why batts, especially diy batts, are more popular.

There are also some concerns with spray foam in that it can only be applied so thick and then must cure (I'm not a pro). So you are looking at least 2 installs and possibly 3. Cold weather is also an issue with spray foam and summer is better than winter.

Going back to my star, the additional cost for spray foam will be repaid with savings when compared to a quality batt installation. An added note, in your climate I would be looking for r-60.

Hope that helps.
Bud