Cellulose and a big gable vent

Old 03-05-19, 10:47 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cellulose and a big gable vent

I'm planning to blow cellulose insulation (16" so it would come above the height of the ceiling joists) in the attic of a 1950's house, and I'm a little worried about a big gable vent at one end. Given the size of that vent, is it possible that the cellulose might get blown around my moving air in the attic near the vent? Would you take any extra steps to prevent this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 03-05-19, 10:54 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Any loose insulation can be blown around under the right conditions. is that vent the only one in the entire attic?

Old 03-05-19, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Not likely. It's quite a ways above the insulation. There are some companies that spray stabilized cellulose insulation. It has a small amount of adhesive in it, so it doesn't move around loosely once it's cured.

Before adding insulation, have you considered the possibility of removing the gable vents and installing styrofoam chutes and soffit and ridge vent?

Old 03-05-19, 11:22 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I should have said this in the original post. There are 2 gable vents of that size, one at each end of the house, but the other end is over the uninsulated garage so it doesn't worry me as much. Also there is a ridge vent and vents in the soffit. The attic also has a fan which sucks air up from a central hallway, although the owners rarely use it.

Old 03-05-19, 11:39 AM
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
If the existing insulation was up to the top of the ceiling joists, I'd run fiberglass perpendicular to them so the wood thermal bridge is stopped. Heck, i'd still do it that way. It would be a two phase project though. Solves your blowing concern too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: