soffit vents on an overhang, and soffit baffles

Old 03-22-19, 07:10 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
soffit vents on an overhang, and soffit baffles

im redoing the insulation on my house right now and im not sure how to tackle one of the projects. i have a 4-5ft roof overhang over my porch, and the soffit vents are at the very end of the that overhang. inside the attic theres a huge area thats not insulated over the porch, but its also wide open into the attic there. im going to say its roughly 2.5 - 3ft between the attic floor at the ceiling at this spot

which brings me to my question about installing the attic baffles. i know the exterior air should never touch the insulation, and be vented up and through the baffles. should i be closing in this huge gap with 2" foam and then install my baffles just above it? or is it ok to just leave this gap open and not put baffles in here? ive included a rough picture of what i have, and what im thinking of doing.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-19, 07:32 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
You should probably have something there to prevent insulation from falling over onto that ceiling but doubt you will be installing enough insulation to need baffles.

You might want to add to your list of projects to install a plywood ceiling there to secure that access path.

Bud

Old 03-22-19, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 713 Votes on 660 Posts
The only reason you need to use baffles is where the top plate and roof deck are in such close proximity that they need to be separated by something to maintain free ventilation and to promote a cold roof (minimum 2").

So I guess it depends how deep your insulation is.

Something needs to prevent the insulation from being washed away by the wind that blows in the soffit, so at a minimum you would want to install osb to block the end of the insulation and to keep it in place. There is no reason for a baffle if the insulation is not close to the rafters. Using 2" foam to block the space off really isn't a good idea. Use osb.

Check out the photos in this guy's thread. https://www.doityourself.com/forum/g...on-needed.html

In his case, no baffles are needed but he definitely needs to place 2' x 2' rips of osb vertically on the exterior side of the wall/top plate to enclose the attic for insulation.

Old 03-22-19, 08:52 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
makes sense to me. i just know that when i was reading up on the baffle installs, they showed that the the outside air shouldnt touch the insulation and only pass through and exit the top of the baffle. but it also makes sense that i wouldnt need baffles here due to the amount of space i have.,

ill be putting in ~20" of insulation (stacking 2x batts of R28) so a 2x2 wall sounds like it should work fine. thanks fo the info.