Insulation and Vapor Barrier

Old 04-29-19, 12:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Insulation and Vapor Barrier

We live in a 2 story house built in 1828 in SC. It has 10ft ceilings and most of the walls and ceilings are 10"to15" wide heart pine boards. The is currently no insulation in the house. I have been redoing a room upstairs that will be the master bedroom. I ripped the floor up and sistered plywood to the sides of the 4x8 beams. I am in the process of running new electrical wire for sockets in the bedroom and lights in the living room. The heart pine boards in the living room are nailed with cut nails into the bottoms of the beams, there will be 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood on top of the beams covered with carpet, when the floor is finished. The heartpine boards in the ceiling of the livingroom will eventually be covered with 1/2" drywall. The living room and bedroom are the same size ~14x20 foot. After to electrical is done I want to insulate between the floors before the plywood is screwed down. I was thinking of using cellusoe between the floor. The exterior is old wood siding that was covered by vinyl. I am doing all the work myself so I will be doing small areas at a time. I will eventually remove the vinyl and wood siding, spray closed cell foam from the outside, and cover with plywood and tybeck. The main purposes of insulating between the floor are sound proofing the bedroom from the living room, and currently have no central heat and air. The house is heated by indivual propane heaters and cooled by window air conditioners.

My questions are: Is celluose the best to use for between the floors for the purposes stated? Do I need a vapor barrier? Should the vapor barrier go below the celluose on top of the heartpine boards of the living room or between the drywall and heartpine in the living room. Does there need to be a vapor barrier on top of the insulation before the plywood and carpet are put down?

Old 04-29-19, 12:44 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I would use mineral wool and no vapor barrier. Keep in mind that most insulation which is for temperature doesn't do a great job with noise and vice-versa. I think mineral wool will give the best combination of the two.

Old 04-29-19, 02:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I would not hesitate to blow it full of cellulose, no vapor barrier needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: