Worthwhile to insulate 1 basement wall?

Old 07-28-19, 01:44 PM
D
Received 34 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Worthwhile to insulate 1 basement wall?

I have a house built in 1961 in Maryland. Foundation is cinder block with no walkout to outside.

The basement is finished with paneling and no insulation behind the paneling. Temperature actually stays pretty consistent year round, I assume due to the fact that all the basement walls are below grade.

I had to remove the paneling on one wall so I could replace a rusty cast iron waste pipe. Before I put the paneling back up, is it worth it to insulate this one wall? The studs are actually offset about 6 or 7 inches from the block wall to allow room for the waste pipe which runs the length of the wall. I don't plan on removing any paneling on the other walls.

If it is a good idea, what insulation should I use? Foam boards glued directly to the block? Will I need a moisture barrier? If I use foam board I'll have to cut it around the pipe so it won't be an unbroken run of foam board.

Old 07-28-19, 04:57 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So, not a lot of benefit in doing just one wall, all the insulation value will be lost due to the other open walls!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: