Attic Insulation

Old 09-06-19, 06:29 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attic Insulation

My attic has a insulated storage area that I am updating. The low walls are insulated and covered in sheet rock. The rafters (2x6, 24" OC) are covered in old fiberboard that is falling apart. I want to remove the fiberboard, insulate, and cover with sheet rock. I have a ridge vent that I don't want to obstruct.

My question is what kind of insulation should I use to insure that there is an adequate air gap for attic ventilation.

Old 09-06-19, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It would be best if you put Styrofoam chutes up to ensure you have a path for ventilation. Then you will only have room for R-15 3 1/2" insulation.

I assume your floor isn't insulated?

Old 09-06-19, 06:47 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The floor is insulated and covered in ship lap. Is there any real benefit to insulating the rafters if the floor is insulated with old probably rock wool?

Old 09-06-19, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It will help keep it a little warmer in the winter, but it won't make it any cooler in the summer... heat from the roof will radiate right through no matter what, not much you can do about the heat unless you can install a gable fan through the wall or have a couple window fans. Hard to picture your space.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: