Quick hack for insulating steel Bilco doors-

Old 01-11-23, 08:46 AM
H
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Quick hack for insulating steel Bilco doors-

Just passing along a "well, THAT was easier than I expected,,," note.
On a hunch, I checked the size of a standard water heater blanket, and it is JUST the right size for covering a basement Bilco door. I also found out that twelve (12) one-pound pull clip-magnets are sufficient to hold the insulation to a steel Bilco door!

Just tuck one edge of the insulation into the hinge side (still use 3 magnet-clips to hold) and then 3 more magnetic clips on the handle side- and the insulation fits quite nicely (fiberglass towards the door so the less nasty plastic side faces you.
(I split the water heater blanket in two, so I can still open the doors to dump firewood into the basement, but for really 'winterizing' you COULD leave as one large panel...)

Works nicely to block the drafts through the door AND provide a bit of insulation from the cold steel door.

Standard water heater blanket- cut in half to fit Bilco Doors

1 pound magnetic clip (total of 12 - six each side)

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 01-11-23, 11:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,311 Upvotes on 2,056 Posts
If the insulation blanket sags in the middle you can use strong/neodymium magnets and stick them where needed.

Old 01-11-23, 12:12 PM
H
Received 297 Upvotes on 255 Posts
Good point-
for a different project I just picked up 20 magnetic hook magnets - was pleased to find the are shipped with the hooks detached (smaller package) BUT that means they take a standard thread size-

SO, if the Bilco insulation needs to be reworked, instead of the hooks I can thread in some 3" bolts to support the insulation. I figure a reinforcement with coffee can lid should spread the force out enough, or use a layer of cardboard (or both)- to anchor the fiberglass.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 01-11-23, 12:56 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,311 Upvotes on 2,056 Posts
We take those magnetic hooks with us on cruises. They are great to stick on the walls to create some hanging storage. I also like them for hanging decorations on our steel doors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: